II BUS NOTES FOR TELETYPE USERS
Want to take a quick moment to point out that after a fait bit of testing by a ton of people, the current recommendation is that you need a powered bus board option if you have three or more external devices connected to your Teletype. Without this, you might experience random locking of your Teletype as it gets stuck waiting for the bus to respond.
You can test this by executing rapid reads of the TXi or by attempting to send commands to devices that aren’t connected (e.g
CV 5 if you don’t have an Ansible or
TO.TR.PULSE 17 if you have four or fewer TXo). If your bus is weak, there is a good chance that these commands will hang your Teletype.
It is a little tricky when you are just on the edge. Everything will seem to be OK, but you will get little random hangs periodically. Again, reads are the most sensitive in this scenario. Writes can handle more bus degradation - but will also start failing as you add devices or call to an output that doesn’t exist.
The bus boards are the bomb. They have created stable environments for me for up to 16 modules connected to the Teletype (8 x TXi and 8 x TXo). If you plan on adding in more modules - TELEX or monome or mannequins, seriously consider an iiBusboard or iiBackpack.
2.0 TELETYPE FIRMWARE
Things are getting to a very good point with the 2.0 firmware. @sam has added an amazing amount of candy while doing some wonderful hardening of the codebase and making it more future-ready for development. Plus, you get some really helpful
INIT commands for your TELEX (without having to update the TELEX firmware).
He has a new build coming in the next day or so that really is worth checking out. I recommend following this thread and giving the latest release a whirl when it is available.
Just dropped today’s shipments at the post. Hope they travel well and everyone gets their expanders safely and quickly.
Next shipment date is June 5th. I’ll ping everyone remaining (not many folks) in the coming weeks so we are all ready to process things over the weekend before the 5th (not before) and get your expanders in the post.
At that point, I’ll have an idea of how many units we have remaining due to cancellations or lack of responsiveness. For folks that have missed out so far, we’ll try to get you in. Also, if after playing with the expanders your are interested in more inputs and outputs, this might be your chance.
Ping me if you are interested. At this point I’ll start keeping an unofficial list of people for the final round of reserve units and cancellations. Make sure I have your email and what you are interested in.
To be clear, there won’t be a lot of extras. We were fully reserved with only a small amount of back-up units in case a shipment got lost in the mail or was damaged. (All were fully tested prior to shipping - that is why they have the little orange dots on the underside of their panels.) Most reservations are already out the door, but there have been a few cancellations and a few unresponsive reservations. We’ll see…