Telex: Teletype expanders

thanks, that did the trick for offsets and TO.CV.N !!

ok, seems i’m doing something wrong with the TO.TR.PULSE.DIV command or maybe is too experimental.
i’m sending a clock pulse to teletype in 8, and trying to divide it by 2 and 4 on TO Outs 3 and 4.
is it ok?

TO.TR.PULSE 3
TO.TR.PULSE.DIV 8 2
TO.TR.PULSE 4
TO.TR.PULSE.DIV 8 4

Pulse dividers cause the TXo to “eat” pulses sent to the unit (or generated by its internal metronomes). Thus, you will need to configure the two TR outputs to their particular division and then send them some pulses.

In the examples below, I’m using the 2.0 Alias for TO.TR.PULSE - TO.TR.P; you can substitute TO.TR.PULSE if you are running the 1.4.1 firmware.

This script will do what you are looking for (assuming M is active):

I
TO.TR.P.DIV 3 2
TO.TR.P.DIV 4 4

M
L 3 4: TO.TR.P I

This script causes every other triggered pulse to emit from output 3 and one out of every four pulses to emit from output 4.

If you want to have them independently triggering (not initiated by a M event), you can use the outputs’ internal metronomes. That would look something like this:

I
TO.TR.P.DIV 3 2
TO.TR.P.DIV 4 4
L 3 4: TO.TR.M.ACT I 1

This make sense?

Hello, just realized I need a TELEXo module.
How could I have one?
thanks

I’m opening up the unclaimed units on Monday. There aren’t a lot - and a few folks on a waiting list already. If you are really interested, PM me with your email address and what unit(s) you want. I’ll add you to that first-come, first-serve list.

SHIPPING UPDATE

Last weekend for the stragglers with prior reservations to confirm their order and submit payment. I’ve reached out to everyone via email and or PM. After Monday, remaining units will open up to first-come, first serve.

For those that either missed out or are passing for now - there is a big question in this: will the expanders be available again in the future? The answer is complex.

First - the expanders are completely open source. Everything that was used to make this run is shared up in the GitHub, including little details like 3D printed frames to hold the PCBs and PDF assembly guides. You can always order up some PCBs and parts and make them yourself. Not a skilled builder? Head over to MuffWiggler and connect up with builders for hire. Anyone who has done a build of Ornament+Crime can handle the TELEX.

I’m not planning to do another run in the near future - especially in the way that we did it before.

If there is a strong demand for additional units, I will look into what it would take to get them completely manufactured. This is tricky because the TELEX weren’t designed for easy manufacture. Also, at these smallish volumes, they may be significantly more expensive to produce. The first run was a break-even endeavor for me and did not include any labor costs outside of what was charged by external firms for things like PCB and panel production.

In summary, no promises on future runs. I’ll try to figure out how to make it happen if there is demand (if possible within my time constraints). Regardless, they will always be available in one form or another.

TXo Firmware Update v.015A

Posted a big update to the TXo firmware this evening. It is available for download now, but you will need to wait for @sam to integrate the Teletype operators into the next 2.0 beta release. He has the pull request and it should be ready to go - assuming I didn’t louse anything up.

Here is a preview of what is in v.015A (detailed documentation and examples were submitted to the 2.0 docs branch and are awaiting approval):

• TO.TR.PULSE.MUTE/TO.TR.P.MUTE - mute/unmute a TR PULSE output (thx @sakul for the suggestion)
  • TO.TR.INIT/TO.CV.INIT/TO.INIT - all are now device native, single i2c commands from the Teletype
  • TO.OSC.CTR - set the center-point for oscillation
  • TO.ENV.EOR/TO.ENV.EOC - bind local trigger outputs to pulse at points in the envelope (thx @ppqq for the suggestion)
  • TO.M.ACT - global activation for all 4 metronomes
  • TO.M - set the ms rate for all 4 metronomes
  • TO.M.S - set the seconds rate for all 4 metronomes
  • TO.M.M - set the minutes rate for all 4 metronomes
  • TO.M.BPM - set the BPM for all 4 metronomes
  • TO.M.SYNC - sync all 4 metronomes
  • TO.M.COUNT - set the count property for all 4 metronomes
  • TO.TR.M.MUL - clock multiplier for each local metronome (inspired by @scanner_darkly’s work on other modules)
  • TO.CV.LOG - logarithmic translation for the CV curve (thx to @martinmestres and @courdek for the suggestions)
  • TO.ENV.LOOP - causes triggered envelopes to loop for a specified number of times (or endlessly)

Bug Fixes:

• fixed an issue with envelopes and offsets that caused envelopes to go silent when an offset was applied

Teletype 2.0 beta (release candidate 2 released 13th July 2017)

If you don’t want to do it yourself, you could get in contact with somebody who already does kits for modules and has a shop, Synthcube, Modular Addict, Thonk come to mind. That would take away most of the hassle of having to sell/ship stuff.

Yup. Also, there are a number of manufacturers who specialize in Eurorack module assembly that could help boost availability as well. Didn’t mean to sound negative above - just wanted to be clear that the current run will be sold out soon and there isn’t currently a scheduled resupply. :wink:

If there is a small amount of additional demand, the existing maker community should be able to handle it . Just look at Instagram - there are tons of O_C out there at this point. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

If the demand is higher, either through non-lines Teletype users wanting in on the game and/or existing users wanting to add a few more to their setup, I can look to more automated methods of manufacture in the future and hopefully figure something out that works. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Here is a shot of the v.015A firmware creation in progress … on a plane! The oscilloscope display represents two CV outputs running oscillators and logarithmic envelopes. The blue one is running at medium LFO rates and the purple one is running at extremely slow LFO rates, creating a periodic, random-feeling pulse of varying height:

Here are two scripts running on CV 1 and 2. The first shifts an oscillator to run in the range of 0V to 5V. The second inverts and envelope to trigger downward to zero from 5V.

Scripts work like this; for CV 1:

TO.CV.SET 1 VV 250
TO.OSC.LFO 1 600
TO.OSC.CTR 1 VV 250

It creates an oscillator that covers the range of +/- 2.5V and then shifts it up 2.5V.

The second uses the way that envelopes interact with offsets and negative voltages to create an envelope that rests at 5V and drops to 0V.

TO.CV.SET 2 V -5
TO.ENV.ACT 2 1
TO.CV.OFF 2 V 5

This creates an envelope that will pulse from 0V to -5V and then shifts that center point up by 5V using an offset. A 1s metronome is pinging the envelope with TO.ENV.TRIG 2.

Here is another shot showing the clear difference between linear and logarithmic envelopes:

L 1 2: TO.CV.SET I V 10
L 1 2: TO.OSC.FQ I 110
L 1 2: TO.ENV.DEC I 1000
L 1 2: TO.ENV.ACT I 1
TO.CV.LOG 1 1

Both CV outputs are set to oscillate +/- 10V and both are given envelopes that decay over a second and trigger every second. Only CV 1 is set to logarithmic mode (mode 1 covers the 10V range). A periodic 1s metronome is pinging both envelopes with L 1 2: TO.ENV.TRIG I. The logarithmic curve is fixed due to CPU constraints and is consistent with the Teletype’s LOG curve (e.g. pow(N, 4)).

BTW: found a tiny bug; updated the release to .015A. Go Jet-Lag induced insomnia!!

I’ll make a demo showing off the new metronome stuff tomorrow. Back to bed now. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that update, it opens up a lot of possibilities !

So the logarithmic curve of the enveloppe isn’t adjustable ? I mean, it can be eather 0 for linear or 1 for that exact same curve but nothing in beetween (sorry I’m not sure to have understood that part :wink: ).

JUst amazing!!! How “hi-rez” are you able to get the osc’s? I have JF but one of the big draws to the expanders was the osc banks and the envelopes…

On a plane! Boss :slight_smile:

For v.015, sort of. There are modes that reduce the range of the curve. Mode 1 spreads it over 0-10V, Mode 2 is 0-5V, Mode 4 is 0-2.5V, and so on.

You see - we’re pretty maxed out in CPU resources with being able to have 4 CV + 4 TR outputs with envelopes, audio rate oscillators, amplitude slewing, pitch slewing, waveform morphing, internal metronomes, pulse timers, and i2c communications all happening simultaneously at a sampling rate of 15,625Hz. Frankly, I’m dazzled by what I’ve been able to squeak out of it.

Computing Log curves is expensive computationally. I was deeply skeptical of being able to squeeze it in, but with more CPU optimization and a miserly approach, it worked!

I’m considering attempting to include another log table in the future - and maybe seeing if I can get some sort of morphing from linear to log. BUT - no promises; I will also have to find more performance optimizations in order to shoehorn it in. We’re pretty maxed out.

Ok. More demos.

Here is a video demonstration of the unified metronome control and the clock multiplier. Patch to follow.

I

TO.M.ACT 1 1
TO.TR.M.MUL 1 2
L 1 4: TO.CV I VV 250
L 1 4: TO.OSC.LFO I * I 50
L 1 4: TO.OSC.CTR I VV 250

TO.TR.M.MUL 2 WRAP O 3 7

Here is what is going on:

• TR 1 is pulsing on eighth notes (clock divider 2); patched to “snare”
  • TR 2 is changing its division each time SCRIPT 1 is triggered (wrapping from 3 to 7); patched to “hat”
  • TR 3 & 4 are pulsing on the beat (quarter notes); patched to SCRIPT 1 and “bd”
  • CV 1-4 are oscillating at different LFO rates between 0 and 5V; patched to the pitch controls for the “hat” and “snare”

The TO.M.* commands work on ALL metronomes within a device (e.g. TO.TR 1-4). They save a lot of loops in scripts and allow for hard sync between the metronomes.

The multiplier (TO.TR.M.MUL) is smart and only will shift its division on the next clock cycle. It is independent of both the DIV and COUNT operators, allowing some really wacky interactions. The above example is simple for clarity sake. :slight_smile:

Aiming to get the next beta out by Monday with this in it.

:sunglasses:

The 4 oscillators run at 15,625Hz - which means a max frequency of 7.8125 kilohertz. The outputs are 16 bit over +/-10V.

Just running them alone, the oscillators are interpolated and sine waves sound pretty nice. When you start piling on the computational load with waveform morphing, envelopes, etc., the interpolation turns off. The other waveforms (triangle, saw, and square/pulse) are not band-limited or antialiased and thus have a nice grunge to them.

The TELEX run the CV slew and OSC slew (portamento) at the same sampling rate - so the values are butter-smooth when transitioning. (No nasty k-rate updates making external oscillators stair-step.)

I should note that there are new Teensy processors around with significantly more horsepower (at a higher cost). The firmware should just run. With a few minor tweaks to the code, it should execute comfortably at a much higher sampling rate. One might also want to adjust the CV output circuit to raise the LPF (or not - if you were looking simply to oversample).

BTW: JF is an amazing module; I love mine!!! :heart_decoration:

+1 for hoping someone does another run or offers builds. I’m late to the Teletype party.

this thread is such a great example of lines at work - from a simple idea almost 2 years ago to actual modules. @bpcmusic deserves the highest praise - i’m in awe at the whole process, the attention to details (i’d be happy to have them with paper panels, really, but they look better than some commercial modules!), the insane amount of work you put into this, especially considering you did this work for free. thank you.

quick TXi tip: you can use the knobs as attenuators for the inputs by using SCALE command:

B SCALE 0 V 10 0 A TI.IN 1```

you have to use an extra variable to store `TI.PARAM` because the 2nd line would be too long otherwise.
if you want to use it as an attenuverter (so that it also inverts the value) do this:

```A SUB TI.PARAM 1 V 5
B SCALE 0 V 5 0 A TI.IN 1```

Thx @scanner_darkly. I’ve enjoyed every minute of this process and owe many, many people a huge pile of thanks for helping along the way (including you). It really was a group effort. Once I’ve finished sending out the units for this run, I’m going to post a recap with the proper acknowledgments to all who helped make this thing happen. :slight_smile:

Sent out the last of the units that were reserved and had proper survey responses and then payments. We have a surprisingly small number folks that I haven’t heard from since they initially expressed interest. I reached out to them via PM on Friday and they have till 12:00am Monday to respond before I’ll consider their units returned to the pool.

I’m keeping a list of folks who missed out on the initial reservations and are interested in one of these units. If you haven’t already, PM me your email and what you might be interested in. I’ll notify you at some point on Monday via email for what is available and the process for staking a claim.

Still working out the details, but in the hope of closing things out quickly, it will be some sort of first-come, first-serve type of thing until I’m out of units. Ideally this last step gets sorted quickly and I can put away my shipping table and packing supplies before hump day. :slight_smile:

Another v.015 demo:

Quad AD Envelopes with 2xTXi control and EOR + EOC Triggers

I

L 1 4: TO.CV I V 5
L 1 4: TO.ENV.ACT I 1
L 1 4: TO.ENV.LOOP I 0
L 1 4: TO.ENV.EOR I I
L 1 4: TO.ENV.EOC I I
L 1 4: TO.ENV.TRIG I

M

A 1; B 1
L 1 4: SCRIPT 8

TO.ENV.ATT A TI.PRM B; B + B 1
TO.ENV.DEC A TI.PRM B; B + B 1
A + A 1

This script uses two TXi to set the attack and decay speeds for the four envelopes on a single TXo. It sets the envelopes to loop infinitely (loop value of 0). The envelope’s end of rise (EOR) and end of cycle (EOC) triggers are routed together to the TR output corresponding with the envelope number (CV 1 => TR 1). Each metronome pulse (set it as fast as you want) reads the 8 param knobs and updates the envelopes’ attack and release parameters.

One of the things I noticed is that the envelopes don’t update their attack or decay rates mid-cycle. I’ll put it on the list for a future release. Should be easy. :wink:

@sam - moving TX startup speed details to the Expander thread.

@tehn suggested optimizations:

My initial thoughts:

So I went to test the theory.

I was able to move some lookup tables to stay in flash memory (with a slight lookup penalty). This decreased the app size from taking up 70% of the Teensy’s dynamic memory to taking up 11%. I was super-confident that the test would improve startup speed significantly.

All I got for that MASSIVE reduction was a little under 10ms improvement in startup time.

Next, I’ll do some more code tests - but I have a feeling now that it is less about code and more about the circuit taking time to get the Teensy up to 1.7V - which starts its boot sequence.

Teletype 2.0 beta (release candidate 2 released 13th July 2017)

I’d wondered if that may be an issue too. You might be able to test it as a theory by doing a warm reboot.

To what extent is it PSU dependent too?

At any rate, we want to delay the I script as we don’t want a race even with Ansible (which takes approx the same time to boot).

Do you want to figure out your best worst case, er, you know what I mean… and we can add 10% to it.