Telex: Teletype expanders

I think a reasonable limit could be beneficial for the community and make everyone’s units more valuable – the more individuals with the expanders, the greater community of contributors we have to the project – both moving the firmware development forward, but also development of more scenes making use of expanders.

Although it’s (hopefully) an unlikely edge-case, the worst scenario I could imagine is that someone swoops in and buys as many modules as possible with hopes of reselling for profit. We could easily protect against that situation with a limit of 4 or 5 modules per person.

I like @PacificNorthWes ’s idea about limiting the first 24 hours to give everybody a chance, and then opening the flood gates afterwards, but it might introduce some extra headaches on @bpcmusic ’s side to manage that change.

Full disclosure, I currently own a TXi and only plan on buying a TXo

I think I’ve processed the above properly: I hear that initial limits would be appreciated. After some investigation, I’m thinking on leaving things limit free. Follow my thinking here:

I’ve explored setting a $670 dollar cart limit (before shipping). This allows for the purchase of 2 TELEX bundles (2xTXo + 2xTXi) and a pair of bus boards per order. The problem is, this is only per order. There is no way to stop folks from doing multiple orders with the Shopify plugins that I have access to. It feels way too easy to game - and frustrating for folks trying to do legit group buy things.

Since it isn’t a good solution - I’m considering just leaving it wide open and hoping that everyone is cool about it. Considering how nice and thoughtful everyone is here, I don’t think that will be a problem. My experience with this whole process is that everyone has been crazy super cool about everything. That is the nature of the group on this forum.

So - I hope that turning off any limits is OK with everyone. After my investigation (and plug in installation), It just seems to be the easiest, fairest option.

Ok, now to clear up some details from the thread above:

• There are limited numbers this build - but still a fair number of units. There are 20 TELEX Bundles going into the store (each a pair of TXi and TXo), 19 standalone TXi, 9 standalone TXo, and 40 powered bus boards. (That equals 29 TXo and 39 TXi total!)

• I have (possibly) 3 TXi and 6 TXo that will drop in the store once everyone has their units and is happy. That number will decrease if I need to use them for any issues. As I have done 4+ QA passes on all the units, I’m not anticipating any problems. (Didn’t have any last time with 2x+ the units.)

• These units are built out of my initial volume order of PCBs and Panels. They weren’t built in the first run because I didn’t have any pre-orders for them.

• This is the last 100% hand-built run that will be sold at cost. I’ve commited most of my nights and weekends for the last year to send 250+ TELEX out into the universe. It has been awesome - but I’m ready to use that time to make music, catch up on projects, and possibly design some new stuff for you all. That doesn’t mean that I won’t be helping any more get built. See the next point. :slight_smile:

• There may be additional runs of the expanders, if there is sufficient interest. I’ve been in contact with a manufacturer who will do all of the assembly steps for us. The price will be higher as I didn’t factor any labor into what I’ve charged. How much higher depends on the demand volume, which is really hard to gauge. We will cross this bridge if there is enough apparent demand.

• Regardless of any future run, anyone can build one of these things if they have the appropriate skills and equipment. Everything you need is up on GitHub. Also, I have some additional panels in my inventory that I’ll put in the store at some point to help - though I don’t have a lot of them left. (There are also panel files in the repo if you want to 3D print or laser cut them.)

• The store will open this Friday at 2PM PST. I’m not posting the opening anywhere else within the first 24 hours. After that, if there are units left, I’ll put a notice on Instagram.

• There will be a small pre-sale opportunity of a couple of hours for a shortlist of folks that missed out on the first build and were in direct contact with me at the time. They are the reason why I did this second run and I have previously promised them some advance access. (Please don’t reach out to add yourself to that list. To be totally fair and transparent, I’m not adding anyone else at this point.)

Hopefully this eases some of the anxiety out there. Please understand that I’m trying to do this as simply and fairly as possibly. The whole point of all the work to date to make these little guys is so that you all could have them to use. Worst case scenario, even if you miss out this round, we’ll figure something out. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Happy Friday!

This is just a little note to let you all that the TELEX store is now officially open for business for this run.

Annnd we’re live :slight_smile:

I’ve got mine. Thanks again for doing this run! Very excited to get started with these!

Likewise. Looking forward to exploring these new possibilities!

In there!

(Now I just need the Teletype.)

(Don’t get mad at me, it’s been in the plan for months)

And mostly sold out already? That was even quicker than I expected.

That’s probably the fastest order I’ve ever completed. :slight_smile:

Oh, and a big THANK YOU to @bpcmusic for making more of these for us to enjoy!!!

@bpcmusic thanks again for building these.

Well I missed out in the middle of the ordering process! I had a bundle and backpack in the cart when I clicked checkout the bundles were already gone. :frowning:

but I hope guys like unity2k got what they wanted in the end though. huh?

Thanks @bpcmusic though for all your work and efforts.

Me too! Wow. My phone just had a conniption with all of the alerts.

There are still a fair number of input expanders on the store - but for those that wanted an output expander, both the bundles and the standalone units have been sold.

Darn. That’s a bummer. Anyone else who missed out on a TXo and wants one, PM me. I’ll keep a short list to get an idea of the demand. My brain is already thinking of ways I can inexpensively do a small TXo-only run to cover interested folks who missed out.

Don’t worry - we’ll figure this out. :slight_smile:

Ugh! So mad I missed the TXo’s. Please do let us know. Also sending a PM.

I managed to buy a txi. Any second thoughts regarding the bundle were surpassed by the reality of not being available.
In normal times i would inquire about the shipping methods. But this was war :slight_smile:

I choose the simpler one and i hope there is some tracking info and/or insurance…

Anyway, very eager to play with it, Thanks for making them!

Thanks Brandon, I pmd you

Quick Sale Update

For those that ordered - all of the TELEX have been flashed (to v.018) and tested one last time. Yes, I’m a little OCD. I boxed them up today and will be doing the shipping boxes tomorrow. Expect the whole lot to drop in the post on Monday morning.

I did one final pass on the firmware, pushing us up to v.018 for both units.

I highly recommend upgrading to v.018 ASAP if you loaded v.017 on your units. I upgraded my Teensy and Arduino packages and this, inadvertently, reverted a startup optimization and the default clock settings. In order to be running the units as-designed, you need to use the latest HEX files for v.018.

Here are the full release notes:

TELEX Release v.018

Fixes a couple of key problems with the v.017 update; recommended to update ASAP if you are running the v.017 update.

• Recompiled to target overclocked processor (120MHz)
  • Adjusted Start-Up Delay (due to reversion by an Arduino IDE update)

• Recompiled to target overclocked processor (120MHz)
  • Adjusted Start-Up Delay (due to reversion by an Arduino IDE update)
  • Fixed bug in Calibration Code (v.017 was inverting values)
  • Decreased input sampling rate to 1ms

Did you update the firmware to v.018 on the new units you are shipping out?

Yes, I did. Everything is running the latest and has gone through four QA cycles to validate everything. I was pretty obsessive this run. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, @bcpmusic, for doing another run of these! My wife and I took a trip down to Portland for the weekend, and I successfully ordered a bundle while eating brunch. The future is now! :wink:

Thanks for all the kind words, understanding, and support from everyone. I’m extremely appreciative. This has been an amazing experience.

All of the packages from the sale are on the road. Folks at the US Post Office in Marina Del Rey were super-helpful in allowing me to bypass the lines and drop boxes and go straight into one of their sorting carts:

Good luck to all of the new TELEX owners. Please reach out here or via email if you have any troubles at all. You are going to have a great time exploring them!!

Thanks again to everyone!!!