That one, little module

What’s the one little module that makes your whole system tick? The one that, while bigger, more complex modules come and go, sticks around?

One of the first things I put in my rack was an LFO by Noise Reap. I got it because it was cheap, and because I had read that LFOs were, like, super important, but I wasn’t sure why. I thought it was neat that it had four outputs, especially since I didn’t have any multiples yet, and that it was switchable between rates.

And now, man, this thing is the centerpiece of every patch. Switching between slow, medium, and fast LFO rates does bizarre and chaotic and wonderful things, and being able to flicker an LFO back and forth between a slow see-saw to crazy-fast audio rates has kicked open a whole world of modulation for me.

https://youtu.be/q_NMG4ql-VE

(Here it is, modulating a whole mess of things across my Clouds and racked 0-Coast.)

Anyways: how about you? What’s that one workhorse module that, sure, is less flashy than other stuff in your setup, but holds a special place in your heart?

1 Like

I’m not sure this is my One Module, but I really never understood why people loved the Batumi so much. I had it for a while, and used it a bunch, but it was just 4 LFOs. Handy? Totally. Pants-wettingly awesome? Not sure.

Then I realized there was an Expert Firmware and oh how that changed it. Honestly even just the fact that I can attenuate from within the module is such a huge improvement all on its own. I was constantly having to run it through my Quadratt for the modules I have that don’t have attenuverters on their CV inputs.

4 Likes

The one not-really-mainstream module that’s in everyone of my patches is Frap Tools Sapèl. Since I discovered I was too much reliant on it I tried to take it out of my case (comfort zone challenges, you know) but I had to take it back in. Can’t do without it.

4 Likes

Probably Quad Atten for me - the most boring answer but I can’t imagine not having those attenuators on hand, I use them all the time. I recently picked up a make noise mult and that’s feeling similar- opening up my system in very surprising ways because I’m now multing things to more places than I would with stackcables (I can’t stand putting a stackcable into a stackcable and always avoid it).

4 Likes

Another Batumi fan here. Probably the module I’ve had the longest (except for when I stupidly sold it and missed having one for a few months). It’s a great clock source and the self patching possibilities open things up. If you have POTI and expert firmware, it’s very capable.

Related: I want to DIY build a 1u POTI for my Intellijel case.

3 Likes

Intellijel Mixup. 6hp, 2 mono and 2 stereo inputs on the front, with switches and level pots for 3 of those. Ive made it part of my system with the rear headers though.
Stereo out headers on the back through a dual gang (stereo) pot becomes my headphone out on the back of the case.
A 3rd stereo input lives on the back of the module as well. Im planning on connecting this up to the switch leg of either the Input section of my Intellijel 1u IN/OUT module for an FX return, or maybe the outputs of Nearness.

In total 3 stereo pairs, 2 mono inputs, 2 pairs of stereo outputs in 6 hp for a good price. I use smaller 7U 80hp systems and when funds permit ill get one for every case

3 Likes

is it heresy to mention other modular formats than euro? :crazy_face:

for me, if i had to narrow down, it would be modcan dual lfo. but frankly my whole planned system is made of 7 modules that fit the description.

At the heart of every patch:

2 Likes

8 Likes

every single sound that comes out of my modular goes through rosie. I think it’s a brilliantly designed output stage, and I use the cue mix all the time in live settings to make sure things are in tune before bringing them into the world. also looking forward to combining it with a txn.

3 Likes

Does Natural Gate count, or is it too much of a major module? :smiley:

Shades gets a ton of use. Audio level control, offset generator for W/ and a lot of other things, pitch scaler to get filters tracking 1V/OCT, method of tuning gates to specific pitch intervals, etc. I seriously think attenuators, not VCAs, are the thing one can’t have enough of.

2 Likes

Have you seen this extended firmware for Batumi? http://voltexture.hiho.jp/batumi-individual-wavebank-firmware-v1-0-released/

Basically eliminates the need for Poti, and lets you choose a different waveform per channel, including mixing the randoms and the saw up/down etc. Looks very useful.

4 Likes

Oooh! I hadn’t seen that. I’ll have to give it a try.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/578fb251893fc0ea70109500/t/5b41e9d6aa4a99250c0a0ee4/1531046365095/tanh.png?format=2500w

8 Likes

Befaco Sampling Modulator. It’s usually my master clock and it’s also a trigger sequencer and sample&hold. Can be also used as a VCO.

4 Likes

What are you using the tanh for? I have one on the way and am excited and confused

1 Like

Would have to be the wogglebug for me. One of my first modules and it still gets used every time I start patching. Love it :heart:

4 Likes

Pamela’s new workout

3 Likes

It’s not a little module by any means, but I’d honestly have to say Maths. It was my very first module, and the only big one I kept when I decided to trade in my frankenrack modules for Make Noise stuff that made more sense to me.

If I really have to pick a tiny module that does a lot in my system, it would be the Monome Walk and footpedals. So many dynamic changes can be had simply by momentarily holding or toggling the pedals. It doesn’t get used in every patch, but it’s especially useful to me when it comes to live performance or single-take recordings.

9 Likes