The Best Advice You've Ever Received

What is the most helpful advice you’ve ever received, whether through a friendship, mentoring relationship, book, or anything else?

10 Likes

Here’s mine, by the way: https://sivers.org/balance

19 Likes

Just before my daughter was born, a friend who already had children told me “everyone is going to try & give you their $0.02 about being a parent, you should ignore all of it” which ended up being great advice & mostly true.

(I suppose strictly speaking I should also have ignored what he said, but I made an exception in that case).

11 Likes

Seek first to understand, and then to be understood

11 Likes

As someone who constantly deals with bouts of anxiety, this line has always been very helpful for me:

“The only thing that’s constant is change.”

5 Likes

This statement wasn’t really given to me as advice, I just overheard it someone else say. But ever since then, I tried to follow it and regretted every single time I did not stick to it:

Don’t work with people you don’t like.

20 Likes

One that comes to mind is:

“Their thoughts about you are none of your business”.

Also:

“Who’s to say what is good or bad?”

6 Likes

always start with a prototype !

4 Likes

“art is not a competition” - high school arts teacher when asked why we don’t participate in statewide arts competitions

16 Likes

“You have never done anything wrong”

1 Like

“Kill the accountant in your heart.”

8 Likes

You could just fire the guy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Kill them with fire.

7 Likes

This definitely wasn’t advice, probably a criticism, but a friend of mine once saw my home studio/music space and asked, “So what is the outcome of all this?”

I’ve become far more intentional about most decisions I make in life - and also know when a decision is inconsequential and undeserving of my time/stress.

5 Likes

Perhaps a bit trite, but I probably return to it often enough to merit mention. At my first “Real Job,” the COO/President told me during a promotion interview to remain always curious.

I can’t think of a facet of life in which this doesn’t apply.

4 Likes

My dad is full of good ones:
“All falls begin with a turn.”
“You can’t get hurt in the air.”

And my favorite:
“If you don’t like it, change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.”

5 Likes

This is awesome, thanks for sharing it!

I actually found it rather saddening and hopeless. But I don’t mean to derail.

“You shouldn’t have to force it,” came from a pragmatic father of a girlfriend.

“Everyone’s journey is different,” came from a friend when I asked him about parenting.

“People will say when they want advice, otherwise they want to be heard,” came from a friend recently.

11 Likes

Easier said than done, he was my grandpa, and he was a force of nature that left a deep impression…

It is good advice though