The Genre of Broken Sound (Disquiet Junto Project 0274)

Hello, this is my first track for Disquiet Junto!
I’ve built a kaivo preset and I added a delay.
Then, I played around with a classic guitar library and play drums deliberately out of time.
Lastly, I added a first try Onde Martenot’s part.
Everything played without much care.
Thank you very much!

5 Likes

Suss Müsik is egalitarian when it comes to concept development. We asked our friend Carvin to describe the experience of listening to a genre called broken sound. What does it sound like, Carvin?

“The sonic equivalent of H.P. Lovecraft’s description of the Old Ones,” he replied. “Incomplete, phasing in and out of dimensions, and the sight of which drives one to insanity.”

Love it. Tell us more.

“Tonally frustrating. The rhythm and phrases are out of time and place. They’re there and then they’re not. Cohesion and confusion buried deep. Like DNA with chunks of helixes missing and replaced with something else.”

For this project, Suss Müsik distorted the concept of broken consort, which refers to Baroque music composed for instruments of more than one family (i.e.; strings and woodwinds). We used piano in addition to such nontraditional “instruments” as power tools, electronic gadgets and mechanical toys.

The result is an amorphous, glitchy mess of a piece: creepy, unstructured, atmospheric, dissonant and decidedly unrefined. It’s not exactly ambient in the usual sense, yet you’d be hard pressed to score any notation except in rare bits.

The piece is titled Nyarlathotep, named after the evil shape-shifting deity invented by Lovecraft who is capable of assuming 1,000 unique formations. The image is a blob of clear liquid soap.

5 Likes

We used old electronic toys as well. Can’t reveal which one(s) were used, exactly. Your results were more inspired.

1 Like

Hola,
This is it…https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/broken-charmdisquiet0274

https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/broken-charmdisquiet0274
Broken Charm(disquiet0274)
What you get when you mix disappointment, the new Cubasis Room Works, Kiev, Chicago, short wave radio, voice tests and loads of effects? This weeks piece. Started with a nice Chicago bass line in Gadget, added a sparse but heavy beat and loaded up all sorts of field recordings. Disembodied voices, shortwave, static, and old 78 record noises where loaded into multiple instances of Abu Dhabi sampler and applied as needed. I was looking for more of a personal broken with the sound, not the broken sound itself…huh That made sense :-/ Anyways, only iOS toys were injured here, Gadget, Cubasis, Audioshare, F-16, and Algoridims dj2. somehow I got lost along the way…

3 Likes

Nice link, I am going to have some fun with that later

2 Likes

Waz Up Junto!
Broken Sound music is often confused with the Noise Sound genre but it differs in several very key aspects. Much like the Chinese delicacy of the 20 year old rotten egg, Broken Sound (BS) is a very long process by which sounds are are torn asunder in multiple ways and layers upon layers are created which are likewise mutilated. Tempos, volume, place in the stereo field are repeatedly mucked with. These edits are done by human hand with heavy use of the crossfader and without the aid of any slice/stutter effects. The use of sudden short pauses of silence are frequently present and it is the easiest way to determine if a track is BS. The BS artist known as King Chubby was caught using the audio mulch plug in to save time and was given a wedgie so viscous that it landed him in the hospital. This intensive process can take a very long time and some BS artists have been known to spend years on one 3 minute piece. To the untrained ear this process is not evident but followers of the genre swear that this is the music Beethoven would be making if he was alive today and living in his mother’s basement. BS concerts are notorious for baldness (not the skin head variety but the male pattern baldness variety) and the lack of females being present. The most critically acclaimed BS artist is Jeff Treble Clef whose album “BrokenBustedBovines” is considered the touchstone of the genre and sold nearly 20 copies.

Peace, Hugh

4 Likes

“…And this house is such a shit hole. I don’t have the energy for it, man. The emotional energy. I just don’t want to be here. I don’t give a fuck…”

Broken: “(of a person) having given up all hope; despairing.”

Sound: “sound produced by continuous and regular vibrations, as opposed to noise”

2 Likes

Umm I kind of just messed around until I thought it had some cool stuff. I used quite a lot of Abelton beat repeat. There are four tracks, a drum track, a guitar track (with beat repeat) in the mid range, a high range track, and my son doing throat singing in the low range.

4 Likes

This was pretty hard to do without thinking of noise music in general and I tried to stray away from that because I thought it’d be too on the nose. I don’t think I strayed far enough, but the process here is taking an ALREADY existing song (internet points if you guess which one, gaming nerds) and stretching, reversing, then applying destructive filters from a brew I quite like (aka breaking something that already exists). On top I placed some chord pads in key (which are also a bit broken/gated). Also some drums because breaking sometimes is about the hits.

2 Likes

Great idea, and it shows the versatility of your work over the year too: you can hear the individual pieces!

2 Likes

Broken mood this evening… Made some broken music.
https://soundcloud.com/the_bell_mechanical/breakmind-disquiet0274

3 Likes

most everything i do aspires to the condition of broken sound…

But, on reflection, you can’t really break sound, whilst there’s still something to hear, right? You can degrade and damage it but actual capital b breaking is binary; it either is or it isn’t, seems to me anyhow…

anyway, so i decided to take a bunch of files - my track count. All of goo, some recordings of the rain and hail from earlier today, some sounds of public transport infrastructure i’d recorded earlier in the week - and played them back one at a time into my Zoom recorder whilst, uhm, waggling the input wire about so all its connections were intermittent, often in one stereo channel rather than both, thereby breaking the sound, right?

An awkward way to make a semi-percussive mess but, equally, a pretty fun way to spend a couple of hours.

[with thanks to @fjna for pointing out i’d tagged it as 0247 rather than 0274. * d u h *]

4 Likes

Here’s mine: https://soundcloud.com/plusch/shattered-disquiet0274

For this project, I revisited my first Disquiet Junto entry (https://soundcloud.com/plusch/disquiet0225-serialcomposition). Before that work reached its final form, I had recorded a track of the melody on piano, and a track of accompanying piano chords. I ran each of those tracks through a home-built Pure Data patch that uses noise values to play parts of the tracks at different frequencies, and to mute playback when the values are in a certain range. The patch also adds a low-pass filter, very short stereo delay, and limiting. The resulting tracks were panned 40% left and right and mixed in Audacity.

2 Likes

To me the most obvious and literal broken sound is clipping. I opened a file recently that was incompatible with the software and it opened with an absurd amount of gain, something like 14,000x, the software could not read it and was reduced to bleeps and bloops trying to parse it. I thought I had made a recording of the output but can’t find it now. So though not quite the same, the first part of this track is what happens when you open an .aifc file in Audacity, lots of gain and clipping. This is a minute long thumb piano file. The rest of the track is a short paulstretch synth piece that I maxed out the amplify effect in Audacity with, then added overdrive, then another layer of distortion.

3 Likes

Hello, here’s my contribution for this week. Live recorded from playing with Aalto and a little sound squeezing effect. How to break sound without making noise?

2 Likes

Love an imagined genre.

i think I went for more broken music than broken sound but it was cranky good fun.

richard

2 Likes

this assignment was quite easy for me to accomplish because i have several hours of stuff like this recorded with a friend from 2010 til 2013.
this track was recorded live and there are no overdubs, mixing or other manipulations done after the recoding.
as far as i can remember we used EMS Synthi Custom,Guitars,Bass,Voice,
Looper,Ringmodulators,Drum Machine,RE-201 and some Foot pedals.

3 Likes

It been a while since my last disquiet and its been fun.

3 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/elmer-disquiet-0274

This started out being broken, but somewhere along the line I put it back together again. At least partially. it is possible I am guilty of losing the plot.

2 Likes

Another strange video…

3 Likes