The Reverb Thread

For hardware reverb I use the TC Hall of Fame. It sounds good and is simple to operate; I almost always use the church and mod algorithms.

I use the Rytm on its own frequently and like the reverb on it. In regards to ITB, I use the stock and M4L convolution reverbs in Ableton.

Lately I have been freezing reverb’d out sounds and editing the samples, sometimes repeating the process after additional reverb and flattening. It’s an interesting way to manipulate space.

I like the noisy weird reverb on the op-1

I use the doepfer spring reverb - the eq knob just makes it sound just right - Great module.

In software I love the Focusrite scarlett reverb plug-in - great for plate styles.

I also love the Kaoss Pad reverbs. I use them a lot on lead parts, bringing the level and brightness of reverb up and down with the melody.

Since springs are getting love, I wonder if anyone here has the luxury of an actual plate.

Not case friendly however. :grin:

GAS disclaimer: having a full-size plate in one’s garage is utter madness, even if this build does look kind of doable…

I have experience with the Æverb mk.ll (in fact I took the product photo of it on the AD site - but I do not work for Audio Damage).
It is a great reverb for it’s size and feature set. I especially love that it is stereo and capable of a pretty wide range of reverb sounds. At times it can he a little hissy but it has a high cut filter and honestly has never been an issue for me.
I am really looking forward to their EOS module. EOS has for a long time been one of my favorite go-to reverb plugins and the idea of having it in hardware form is pretty exciting. The size bump will mean I will need to drop something from my live case but I’m sure it will be worth it.

A friend brought his Æverb mk.ll over yesterday, as I was interested in getting one due to its attractive form factor. I am doing ambient stuff, so I fed it with slowly changing complex oscillator sounds at relatively constant levels and listening to the wet signal only. Please take the following with the proverbial grain of subjectivity salt.

To me, the Æverb mk.ll reverb sounded like the perfect spring reverb, but without the spring-based sonic artefacts and behaviours. The two algorithms seemed to differ mostly in the maximum reverb decay time. At longest decay times the reverb builds up in some sort of a feedback, leading to a somewhat pleasantly distorted sound cloud. With the signals I used, the distortion was easily removed with turning up the Æverb’s input high pass filter.

+1 for valhalla! so light on the cpu for how great it sounds.

my other go-to is the waves r-verb. really great on a variety of settings, especially smaller rooms (check the “bedroom” and “guest bathroom” settings, i use them constantly)

Hmm unrelated to waves but this made me think - anyone sample or computationally generate their own reverb presets for impulse-convolving reverbs?

First time I mixed an album, used the room I was mixing in as an echo chamber - really happy with the results at the time compared to digital reverbs available.

So measuring & ‘bottling’ particular rooms or spaces, seems kind of a fun/interesting slant on this topic. Jconvolver is a cool piece of free software - claims to be somewhat optimal as a low-latency, fft-based convolution reverb. At any rate it’s not a total cpu hog!

Anyone know how reverb impulse response measurement works? I’m guessing one would use a combination of time & frequency domain techniques but beyond that initial guess…

apparently the secret sauce is in a bag of balloons!

I badly need a dedicated reverb effect for my modular, and I’ve been doing research for months. Aeverb looks like just the ticket to me at just 6HP! I wonder if anyone has compared it with any of the nicer pedals out there, like the Strymon Bigsky? I’m a bit partial towards pedals cos that saves me a few HP and it’s straightforward to set as an FX send on my mixer. But really, I will use a module if it will sound better than any of the pedal options.

I’ve done this a bit using both balloons and sine sweeps. Both work, but the Sine sweep is better, providing you have ear protection and a large monitor.

I really like the techniques of using sample editing/layering as a means of creating unusual (ie unrealistic) reverbs. Having said that, recordings of gunshots, lightning strikes etc make interesting alternatives to normal IRs.

Not the technical side of it, but probably lots here of info here:

Worth checking out the open IR library if you’ve not before: Good info on technique.

I remember Rayspace was an interesting attempt to computationally model spaces:

This is also interesting in terms of current reverb tech in games:

And lastly, did you know this existed:

Did you buy one?

The Intellijel Digiverb has arrived in stores. I probably won’t be able to demo it, as Perfect Circuit doesn’t have an Intellijel 1u demo setup.

Has anyone tried one? Can anyone compare/contrast with other known quantities?

Of course I posted about the Aeverb, but held off on purchasing hoping to pick up a pair of the Digiverbs, largely for reasons of economy, and I really like the Intellijel 1u system. Obviously, two of these do not create a stereo reverb, but for the way I imagine using it/them, it’s not that important; I imagine the forthcoming Audio Damage ADM23 will be my “correct” master bus stereo reverb.

@kisielk, can you offer any insight in to what to expect?

Well, the Digitank is pretty bare-bones. It uses a Belton digital reverb tank which is I believe is based on the PT2399 chips. There’s not really a ton of control over the effect itself, but I’ve found it does sound quite nice as it is and it gives that extra sense of space to sounds. Of course, it’s also considerably cheaper and smaller than any other euro delays.

this count’s right :slightly_smiling_face:

maybe something like this?

Im torn between the oto Bam and the empress reverb.

Cool little demo from kid koala of the empress

From a guitar POV, I’ve always liked Empress; I have some of their other effects.

In my limited experience patching in pedal format effects with Eurorack, I don’t like the messiness of various different cords, connectors, etc. I prefer something more systemic.

But…you’re making me reconsider a little. Maybe one Empress after all.

The big, CRUCIAL thing in its favor for end-of-chain effect is that it maintains an unaltered pure analog dry signal from beginning to end, which is what totally disqualifies the otherwise nice Eventide stuff, and whatever else forces my dry signal through an A/D/A chain. In effects loops/aux send-returns, they’re fine, but for pass-through, no way.

Strymon I believe uses the same routing; not sure though.

BAM I know not much about. Looks cool, but I don’t like the demos I’ve heard, but that’s more to do with how the users use them than the effects themselves. Personally, I find that 98.72% of the time, users drown their dry signals in too much reverb, with too long a decay, in too big a space.

But that’s just me.

Let’s discuss reverb theory!

As an aside, I finally tried the Aeverb Mk ii/ADM21 yesterday, and was surprised by how disappointed I was in it.

But…maybe I shouldn’t have been, as it’s exactly what I always disliked twenty+ years ago in the Alesis stuff. I get that people like that sort-of retro/character sound, but for my purposes here, it’s a non-starter.

I do have high hopes for the ADM23 though as a kind of master bus effects unit.

Im leaning more toward the empress, It will be my fist hardware reverb to be honest… Looking for something flexible, pretty sure its going to take a conscious effort from me not to drench everything with it.

This is what I use…

Roland Space Echo - RE-201 - old and awesome, my tape is ancient

Alesis Wedge - cheap, but sort of fills that cool reverb spot that only the Wedge can fill. Everyone bought one when they dropped to $100. Spring Reverb - kind of noisy and fun and having a spring reverb was one of the essential things I had to have in my small modular.

Earthquaker - Afterneath - love this thing - the reverb “blooms” - I have a hard time turning it off when running through my pedals.

Any reason not to just stock up Eventide H9s? I’m pretty interested in the various guitar reverb pedals lately, but a lot of them seem like the “one trick pony” type reverbs… as in it’s a well-known reverb algorithm that has something extra added to it (built-in delay, saturation, etc). It seems like nearly all of that would be achievable with the Eventide, and in a multitude of different configurations.

not so many mentions of BigSky? monster.