The Tiny Studio Corner Thread

This guy used to sell alternate Elektron faceplates. The I saw one of his black paneled monomachines in person and it looked SO good.

https://www.dickmalibu.com/collections/elektron-series

1 Like

It’s actually a vinyl cover: Elektron Octatrack Skin, Decals, Covers & Stickers. Buy custom skins, created online & shipped worldwide! StyleFlip.com

Which certainly isn’t as nice as the ionized metal faceplates that @marcus_fischer linked. They’re also a bit tricky to fit (you have to really take your time applying it), but they’re a third of the price and you can upload your own specific color or graphic. They also recently added the option for covers that wrap around the sides… I’m pretty happy with mine.

2 Likes

i got rid of my harmonic oscillator a while ago and have regretted it since. just put this system together to play on the porch this morning :slight_smile:

thanks @NoraCodes for facilitating getting me the h.osc!

edit: wow almost everything in this pic is traded/bought from lines users. The only thing that isn’t is the battery and the keyboard.

37 Likes

Oooh are you able to power your Pod from the power bank? It’s about time I break down and buy one of those!

1 Like

i’m just powering Norns on the bank right now, but yes, you can power the pod - just need an adapter! i can’t find the link to the one i have but it’s usb-c to barrel.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about a Harmonic Oscillator. It’s one I’ve contemplated many times and haven’t been able to justify, because I tell myself I have plenty of fantastic oscillators and it’s fairly large. And yet, I’m still thinking about it!

I’ve imitated the overall architecture with the ER-301 and with Bitwig Grid but those really don’t have the same mojo.

2 Likes

yea - you can get a similar interface in software (or using just friends, or stages!) but where the verbos is really special is how dirty and rough the sound is, though they’re supposed to be sine waves. haven’t heard a digital option that comes close :slight_smile: i do really like it. i posted a recording of this setup on the TT study group discord if you’re on there!

1 Like

I have shrunk my Eurorack from 12u to 6u, and if I continue the Verbos HO will be all that’s left one day. The only option to leave it behind would be swapping it for the Buchla version.
And yes, these are not pure sines. The further you go up in the harmonics the dirtier they get. I think that is what makes it sound so unique.

4 Likes

just downsized a bunchhhh feels so good. this is basically everything now.

37 Likes

miss my tokyo tiny corner so much :relieved:

19 Likes

ha! that octatrack looks so squished horizontally in this picture :slight_smile: it took me a minute to realize what it was

doesn’t help that i have electrical tape covering all the logos :sweat_smile: #notsponsored

4 Likes

this is awesome! and that Godspeed poster is giving me a serious case of poster GAS, if that can be considered a thing.

2 Likes

my dear friend sent that to me free of charge. i couldn’t believe it. akira x gy!be?!?! like wut.

3 Likes

You’re giving me gas for a whiteboard! Feel like my system is costantly covered in 1000 peices of paper with random notes and i.portant I info them

3 Likes

I put a couple of rows of whiteboard tape on my desk in front of my faderbank as a scribble strip, but found I use it like a general mini-whiteboard anyway. I’ve thought about covering my entire desk surface with the stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the whiteboard has been an absolute revelation. two main things i use it for:

1.) my workflow/process typically starts in the same spot (main cable routing doesn’t change, same controllers, etc) but almost always gleefully mutates into some creative use of some strange aspect of the rig (i.e. the other day i realized i could send two mono signals from my euro.) the whiteboard is where these really precise and unique technical notes go, offloading that from my brain so i can just be creative and not worry about tech stuff.

2.) song ideas. i used to write this in my journals but i sorta stopped because they have such a short lifespan and i didn’t like “wasting journal paper” on little ideas. the whiteboard liberates me to write down whatever. here we can see i’m exploring “bosa nova acid.” :dancer::eye:

13 Likes

Spending the weekend back in the place where I grew up, messing with a 4 track. There’s an SM-57 sticking out the window on the left picking up birds singing, wings flapping, and squirrels running along the upturned aluminum boat. I brought my computer but that hasn’t made it out the bag yet.

40 Likes

Here is my compact setup!
As I move around a lot, I was too lazy to connect all 20 cables each time, so I invested in a Rockboard pedalboard with a Patchbay MOD 2.

Quite happy with the result, the portability and flexibility, and it’s pretty plug and play.

38 Likes

very cool. what’s running on the tablet on the left? and what’s the tablet itself? :slight_smile:

1 Like