The traveling cassette tape (an experiment)

Is there any need to consider arranging the running order by relative geographical location, if only to consider the carbon footprint (minimal as it might be) of sending a cassette back and forth across continents?

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. I was thinking I could make a spreadsheet and put a link in the top post. I’ll add all the names we have so far and a country for the ones I know. It’ll be open for everyone to fill in with their location. We can then sort the order according to location

2 Likes

I would like to be in!

Regarding the running order by relative geographical location, is this the travelling salesman problem?

Maybe everyone could take a picture of the cassette in a emblematic location just like Amélie gnome pictures? (By the way, I’m not a Amélie fan :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

3 Likes

Sounds fun and I’d love to participate. From being in similar types of exchanges, I’d suggest starting with multiple tapes-maybe one tape per 5 participants. Otherwise it could be years (or never ) before everyone gets the tape.

4 Likes

Totally, a great sorting problem! I think the big G has something for this in their Maps API.

Someone did a demo.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the top post with a spreadsheet link and some info

Good call on sending out multiple tapes @Hovercraft. I guess that means we don’t end up with one exclusive tape, but that might be a bit too optimistic anyway?

2 Likes

20 characters of Im down!

1 Like

Updated my entry on the spreadsheet - nice one.

1 Like

The great Rinus van Alebeek has produced a number of tapes like this via his staaltape label - the one’s I’ve heard are eye-opening cadavres exquis. Jurgen Ploog’s Tapes von Unterwegs 1971-1976 also comes to mind. Good luck with the project!

3 Likes

I love this idea. Im in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great idea!

I’d love to be involved if possible (I’m in the UK).

1 Like

Was thinking this could go live soon. I’ve set the date for registration to sunday august 1st. Please refer to the top post for info and fill in the spreadsheet with lines-username and country.

Question
We currently have 28 participants. Should we split the list in 2 or run with the entire list and hope the tape returns after a long journey?

3 Likes

29 , I’m down for this!

Run one list and have this extra emotional jump every time it get posted to next person and received after :smiley:

2 Likes

I would be ok with both solutions. Of course the more participants the more likely that something could go wrong at one point. But no risk no fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do we have time limits to fill or just start a new tape when the first one fills?

1 Like

Just a thought but someone could make a ‘back up’ copy of the tape every five participants just in case…
I’m in UK and would like to take part too, if it’s not too late.

4 Likes

That seems like a good idea.

4 Likes

I’m very interested and just signed up.:slightly_smiling_face:

I have an dual tape deck and can definitely make a copy or copies when a tape comes my way.

As much as I’d like to have this be a worldwide event, I think it might be wise to have 2 circuits : one for the EU and other close countries and one for the Americas as those seem to be the two greatest concentrations so far. Participants from Asia and Australia could opt for either one.

4 Likes

On board. Will also back up whatever is sent to me, just in case.

3 Likes

I was initially thinking we set a limit on say 3 mins per recording, but might actually be cool to leave this open and just add a new tape when/if the first one fills

Good call! let’s see how the list looks when closed

Great idea!

1 Like