TimeParty

TimeParty

Grid based delay sequencer.

TimeParty is 4 step sequencers that each modulate a different delay parameter: “rate”, “time”, “feedback” and “mix.” Each sequencer has independent lengths and clock divisions.

This is a work in progress. I have many more ideas for it, but wanted to share it for people to play with before I fall any farther down the rabbit hole and my girlfriend leaves me because I’m spending too much time with my toys.

To Do:

1. External clock sync
  2. “Hold” mode - freeze current buffer
  3. Tap tempo
  4. Change sequence directions - reverse, pendulum, random, drunk
  5. Scale options for rate sequencer
  6. Other FX/more sequences
  7. “Shift” modulation values

Requirements

Grid, Norns, external audio input

Documentation

– E2 : change sequence
– E3 : change param
– K3 : select param

Modulation values for “time” and “rate” work as follows:

row 8 (bottom) - 1/2 note
row 7 - dotted half
row 6 - 1/2 note triplet

These values are then multiplied by 2 all the way up the height of your grid (so the next 3 are 1/4, dotted 1/4, 1/4 triplet, etc). When modulating rate, the pitches will translate to root/octave, 4th and 5th.

“Feedback” and “mix” mod values will just be equal divisions based on the height of your grid.

I may replace the mix sequencer with something more interesting at some point. I also might remove the bottom row from the sequencers so it can be used for controlling various parameters.

Tip: You’ll want to turn up the “Mix” sequencer to hear more delay…

Download

v1.0.0 - https://github.com/crimclark/timeparty/archive/master.zip

30 Likes

I was just hoping last week for more scripts to play with Softcut with! This looks like fun.

2 Likes

awesome! cant wait to get home and give it a whirl…

1 Like

Hope people enjoy! I added a little more context around how the modulation values currently work in the top post.

excited for this 20 chars!

1 Like

So I found a bug where the delay times weren’t updating properly when changing BPM, but it should be fixed now. Anyone who has already downloaded may want to re-download.

I’m getting an error when I select TimeParty:

# script load: /home/we/dust/code/TimeParty/timeparty.lua

cleanup

script clear

including /home/we/dust/code/timeparty/lib/TapeDelay.lua

SCRIPT ERROR: load fail

cannot open /home/we/dust/code/timeparty/lib/TapeDelay.lua: No such file or directory
stack traceback:
/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:185: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:185>
[C]: in function ‘dofile’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/startup.lua:43: in function ‘include’
/home/we/dust/code/TimeParty/timeparty.lua:11: in main chunk
[C]: in function ‘dofile’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:140: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:140>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:186: in field ‘try’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:140: in function ‘core/script.load’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:423: in field ‘key’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:164: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:141>

script clear

Are file paths case sensitive? Your code is looking for a folder named timeparty but your folder is named TimeParty. Just a thought.

Yes, was about to reply I think this is the issue. I named the github repo “TimeParty” without thinking about the paths. If you rename the directory to lowercase “timeparty” it should work. I’ll update the github link.

can confirm I had the same error with TimeParty folder that was resolved with changing folder name to all lowercase “timeparty”…

been having a party with this script for the last few, so haven’t even downloaded the update, but kudos on this one sir…fantastic work…:ok_hand::+1::muscle::metal:

1 Like

: ) very nice thank you!

1 Like

Played with this last evening, really nice little patch!

6 Likes

sounds great! thanks for sharing.

1 Like