Tips for Portland, Seattle and Chicago

Wormhole and Synth City… yep. 100% agree!

2 Likes

I’m playing a show in Portland May 25th at Yale Union.
If you are free you should come by.

1 Like

We were hoping to see some live music, so this is a definite possibility. Thanks!

1 Like

oh lovely, YU is the best! Sadly I’m in Portland only on the last week of july/first week of August.

More Chicago recommendations…

-Spoken Cafe and Beans and Bagels are a bit out of the way but are great for breakfast, lunch, coffee and tea. Fairgrounds is also good for coffee and tea. All of the above shops pay attention to/use proper brewing methods and typically have a nice selection.

-Ipsento is also excellent coffee wise. They have a couple locations but the one in Wicker Park is nice and is right by the 606 biking/walking trail.

-Ravenswood Used Books and Powell’s Books Chicago (in Hyde Park) are great for used books. You can get lost in those stores for hours.

-606 Records is also worth checking out if you are in the Pilsen area. Dusek’s/Thalia Hall/Punch House is right across the street. Tacqueria Atotonilco is also near by if you are in the mood for cheap/delicious Mexican food.

-Half Acre, Corridor, and Marz for craft beer and good food.

-Musicbox and Facets for independent, foreign, and art-house movies.

4 Likes

I would also be curious to go to zendos in these cities for some travel zazen session. I have a hunch this forum probably has some zen people, take me to your zendo!

1 Like

The Sangha I sit with meets on Monday evenings from 7 to 830. Info is on our website: zenchicago.org

Let me know if you would like to attend!

2 Likes

that’s lovely, i’ll be sure to write you once i know more exact days i’ll be coming to chicago!

1 Like

If youre planning on visiting Control Voltage in Portland (and really…why wouldnt you?), it sits in the middle of a fantastic neighborhood with tons of stuff all on Mississippi Ave

Mississippi Studios is a great small venue
Bar Bar is the bar attached to it with a great patio
Crow Bar is across the street and is a great dive
Stormbreaker Brewery is one of my faves and also has a great patio
Beacon Sound - records and tapes, electronic leaning
Mississippi Records is a bit up the street but is an awesome record store
Eclipse Brewery - another fantastic brewery
and theres tons more. You really cant lose in that hood.

1 Like

Hi, I’m planning to take the train from Seattle to Chicago. Takes about 2 days I know… still, it’s sort of like a childhood fantasy of mine. Should have of course done this probably 20 years ago :slight_smile:

Any experiences?

1 Like