Today my small discovery was

oh dear. That happened to me once.

Everyone here probably already knows this, but today I discovered that Kontakt plays rex files.

No idea how I didn’t spot this till now, I guess I always assumed it was just for big multisample libraries.

1 Like

a recent discovery that’s made the music-making process so much better for me is that it’s ok to abandon a track.

every time now that i’ve gone to make an album it’s never gone the way I thought it would and I learn something about myself and about the process as a whole. in the past I would fixate on every track that I made, and if it wasn’t working or exciting me, I’d slam my head against it until it maybe kind of sort of did.

this time around I’ve learned it’s ok to work on something for a while, come to the realization it’s kind of a fail, and just move on to something new that you actually do feel good about and excited about. really cuts down on the whole making-an-album-often-feels-like-pulling-teeth vibe. :grinning:

41 Likes

My 4-in-1 screwdriver with the bit taken out makes a perfect hex driver for most nuts on my Eurorack modules. No more loose nuts!!

42 Likes

keep dice handy to augment wetware’s ram. code whatever temporary/arbitrary data you need in dice instead of short term memory so you can focus on performing and not remembering.

33 Likes

Cool but can you give an example?

ye! last night i was recording and had a few tracks muted that i knew i wanted to unmute at different parts. i used dice to note which track numbers to unmute and in which order.

19 Likes

ok that is truly inspiring
def gonna use that now

3 Likes

Einstein said god does not play dice with the universe, but Cage says “Roll ‘em, Tyler!”

:+1:

12 Likes

Today my small discovery was that not all triggers are alike.

Really liked the sound of my Rampage EOC triggers for pinging filters but didn’t want to tie up my Rampage for this purpose in this particular patch.

Tried lots of other modules trig outs. Tried square wave with alllmost 0% duty. Nothing sounded right.

Tried drawing a trigger in Audacity, exported to WAV, played back on Disting. Too clicky sounding.

So in the end I used my Disting to record the Rampage EOC trigger, loaded up in Audacity (which is when I noticed the - now obvious because analog - nice rise/decay envelope - even though it’s just a < 1ms trig) and exported this to WAV. Loaded up in Disting for my preferred trigger sound whenever I need it.

tldr not all triggers are alike

41 Likes

@derangement Now that’s an interesting one! Thanks for sharing your findings, will try different triggers as well…
:thinking: time to start a collection of trigger samples?

6 Likes

I finally grokked the bpatcher object in Max when I started thinking of the name “bpatcher” as meaning “the patcher behind this patcher”. Personally, I’m going to start calling it the [peekaboo] object from now on. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Learned what “burnish” means. My RNP and/or RNC had a faulty input. Reached out to the fine folks at FMR for advice (makers of the devices). They recommended I burnish the malfunctioning input/s. Looked up the word and, with some De-Ox-It, was able to get everything working again.

7 Likes

Bring on the demos!!!

2 Likes

you could try using a lowpass for slewing those trigger you dont like.
Or use a slew limiter :smiley:

3 Likes

If you dream of trying RxMx or Morph 4 but can’t spare the $$/HP:
Klavis Flexshaper can scan/morph between its 5 CV inputs. Works with audio, too!
Set all faders to noon, send your ramp/scan CV into top input, adjust gain to taste.

6 Likes

Very clever, those Klavis people!!!

1 Like

Interesting! In this configuration it crossfades between the inputs as the top input voltage changes rather than switching between them? This module is a little harder to understand than most.

1 Like

Flexshaper gives you CV control of five setpoints for re-mapping the input. It fades between the adjacent setpoints as your input travels through that zone (i.e. when input is low, you are traveling between the two lowest setpoints).

The scanner concept exploits this by zeroing out the setpoints and using their CV inputs to carry your signals (LFOs, audio, etc.) into the mapping function.

7 Likes

Right on. I saw that and it cracked my pea-brain but your mentioning it scans between zones (rather than switching at points), which was my misunderstanding, clarifies. Very cool.

1 Like