toga: TouchOSC grid and arc controller for monome norns

toga

Yet-another TouchOSC grid and arc controller emulation for monome norns.

Demo Video: Login • Instagram

This is my take on using TouchOSC to emulate grid and arc controller.
After trying midigrid with a pair of Launchpad mini MK3, I wondered if it is possible to add TouchOSC support to midigrid, but it ended up with another new project different than midigrid but with similar approach. By the way, toga and midigrid can co-exist.

Requirements

Just the TouchOSC app (new version - not working with Mk1) - free on desktop and paid on mobile/tablet.

Documentation

1. Install toga: from maiden type: ;install https://github.com/wangpy/toga
  2. Edit script you want to use toga with (similar to how to edit script to add midigrid support)
    1. Find occurence of “grid.connect()” in the script code and insert the following line above:
      local grid = util.file_exists(_path.code.."toga") and include "toga/lib/togagrid" or grid

• If the script is already edited to support midigrid, you can add the support on midigrid library script file: add the line above to line 1 in code/midigrid/lib/midigrid.lua. When no midigrid-supported device is connected, toga grid will be initialized.
    2. Find occurence of “grid.connect()” in the script code and insert the following line above:
      local arc = util.file_exists(_path.code.."toga") and include "toga/lib/togaarc" or arc

3. Select the edited script on norns to load
  3. Download toga.tosc controller file and import to TouchOSC (new version, not working with Mk1).
  4. Set up connections to norns:
    1. Choose UDP
    2. Look up norns IP address in SYSTEMWIFI and input to Host field
    3. Input 10111 to Send Port
    4. Input 8002 to Receive Port (any unused port number should work)
  5. Run the TouchOSC controller (by clicking Play button).
  6. Tap the upper-right green button to connect to norns. The green button should light up and the controller should be running.
  7. (Optional) Adding default TouchOSC client address:
    1. Open code/toga/lib/togagrid.lua file
    2. Find the line -- UNCOMMENT to add default touchosc client
    3. Remove leading -- in the line below, and edit the IP address in the line.
    4. Open code/toga/lib/togaarc.lua file and repeat the step 2 and 3.
    5. Reload the script on norns. Now toga will automatically connect to the TouchOSC controller when the script is loaded.

Download

32 Likes

Ok, im considering buying a used ipad now. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

does the touchosc file only work on the newest version of touchosc and not touchosc mk1?

2 Likes

Yes. Thanks for the question. My controller file is made and tested only in the new version. And it looks like the new version and old Mk1 do not compatible with each other. I should note this on my documentation. Thanks again!

1 Like

This looks great! Will give it a spin later.

For ios users who already have tOSC mk1 - you can get the newer version at an ‘upgrade price’ by buying the ‘TouchOSC Generations’ bundle. It’s only £5 rather than the standalone price of £8.99 for the new version alone. I only found this out at the very last minute! Sweetens the deal a little.

3 Likes

Great work! I got it to work with Awake and Arcologies. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Had to buy the TouchOSC 2 app but worth it, works!

1 Like

thanks for the hard work. the template works so smoothly

2 Likes

I’m having some issue setting it up with mlr as the norns is receiving input from touchosc but the visuals aren’t being updated on the touchosc app when I click around?

1 Like

I can finally start digging into all the scripts that work better with grid :slight_smile: just need to find the time…

1 Like

Hey guys, what do you think it’s worth buying a new version of touchosc for this layout? It would be interesting to know which scripts you have already tried and how they work.

2 Likes

I’d say definitely, only had a short go at it, but it’s working great. Better spend 9,99 rather than 499 or however much the Grid is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Nick, I just tried mlr myself and it should work. Since you mentioned norns can receive controller input, maybe you did not click on the green button on top-right corner? The green button needs to be lid (with light green color) which indicates the controller is registered to my script in norns.

1 Like

I believe this was the issue too thanks for the help.

1 Like

Has anyone got this working with TouchOSC 2 for Android, by any chance? I’m not sure I want to upgrade to 2 from 1, especially as there doesn’t seem to be a discount available for Android users that I can see.

Very interested in trying Toga out if so!

For the records, I’ve just tested toga+takt+touchOSC on windows and it works flawlessly

2 Likes

I’ve got Toga + Awake + touchOSC working very responsively using the Linux touchOSC client now, and with Midigrid running simultaneously by uncommenting line 2 in togagrid.lua just to confirm that works as well.

2 Likes

I just tested with my Android phone with new TouchOSC app and it works too. :slight_smile:
(I was testing with Linux and iPad versions)

1 Like

Same, I tested using new touchOSC android app and everything works fine!
@wangpy any clue for a template for touchOSC to use it as a midi keyboard?

This is good to hear - I’m still pondering whether to spend the extra ten euros for v2 - v1 was always sluggish for me on Android, so I’m a bit wary of wasting yet more cash on something that won’t actually get used by me.

Great to hear that it works for others though.