Topic on books MIA?

Hi everyone! I was browsing the internets a few months ago and stumbled upon a very informative thread on books here. I made a mental note to come back when I have the time and dig into some of the recommendations, but it seems I can no longer find it anywhere.
Am I missing something here or has it been lifted by the cyber-goblins? I’m a 100% sure it was this website.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Do you mean this thread?
https://llllllll.co/t/books-what-are-you-currently-reading-or-just-finished/5354

I think so! But i get “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.” when I click the link.

Crap, i have no idea about that, sorry. It’s called “What are you currently reading or just finished”. Maybe that will help find it?

It only comes up in the search in the shape of quotes from it in other threads, but whether I try to open it that way or via Google I still get the same “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.” page.

I believe this is related to Discourse’s (the forum platform lines uses) trust levels. That books thread is categorized in the “open” category, which I’m pretty sure you have to be trust level 2/member to view. Maybe it was not that case before? That must have changed some time in the past few months then if you could find the thread then but not now. A mod would probably know more.

You’re correct. Since March 21st, Members and above can view and post in the Open category (Regular level is needed to start new Open threads).

Ah, that’s too bad. I mean, I lurk here quite often anyway and don’t mind doing so with an account and chiming in if I have something to say, but I also kind of feel such resources should really be as open as possible. As someone who grew up on forums and still consults them regularly, I’m always sad to see a lot of useful info vanish in private Facebook groups never to be seen again.

On the other hand, I have no idea what other types of threads the Open category consists of, so it may very well mostly be a members hangout space.

4 Likes

there are good reasons for “open” to be (very slightly) restricted.

not sure that the books thread needs to be in there. (could be moved to “review.”)

trust level 2 is easy to acheive:
Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
Casting at least 1 like
Receiving at least 1 like
Replying to at least 3 different topics
Entering at least 20 topics
Reading at least 100 posts
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

basically, enough to know that you are a human and you have had some interactions with the forum.

i have moved the books thread to “review”

we are in the process of reviewing the categories and level requirements— it’s unfortunately not entirely straightforward

3 Likes

Thanks! I hope I haven’t inconvenienced anyone with this. As I said, now that I’ve made an account I might as well stick around a bit. See you around!

2 Likes