TouchOSC Bridge(-ish) on Norns Shield

TLDR: This is only tested on my own Norns Shield, rp3b. GitHub - velolala/touchosc2midi: a (linux compatible) TouchOSC Midi Bridge written in python runs on Norns Shield, allowing you to connect TouchOSC as a native Midikeyboard

I don’t have midi keyboard for some reason, so for a while I have had to setup a iPhone --[Lightning]–> Midi interface --[USB]–> Norns Shield whenever i wanted to use Icarus or lately Synthy.

One solution is to install this TouchOSC bridge “emulation”: GitHub - velolala/touchosc2midi: a (linux compatible) TouchOSC Midi Bridge written in python on Norns.

Running it with the following command, touchOSC can select Norns as a bridge, and any Norns script to are now playable by with the “Touch Keys” layout in TouchOSC.

touchosc2midi --midi-in=0 --midi-out=0

The Bridge isn’t picked up as device on Norns. This would be nice, but so far I’m just glad that it worked, and haven’t put more exploration into the midi piping on Norns.

For some reason, it only works over SSH. If run in Matron as

os.execute(“touchosc2midi --midi-in=0 --midi-out=0”)

Norns freezes and has to be restartet. I had planned to make a script which launched touchosc2midi, but have to figure out the freezing.

I’m sure that this is overkill, and can probably be solved in a more elegant way, but it works well.

2 Likes