Traffic

traffic

edit of @markeats loom for quickly decoupling motifs from their harmonic framework. now with arc support!

i was going to wait until i found time to do the Big Redesign to add this to the library, but since there aren’t many scripts using arc on norns yet (and because i have no clue if i will ever be able to find time for the Big Redesign) i am adding it now.

as a computer music person i have always been drawn to sequencers as compositional tools. a standard way for me to write a song usually involves writing or creating an ostinato that i then reharm or recontextualize until it feels like it’s saying something that i agree with. usually this involves a lot of non chord tones, and i would never think of trying to do it in real time. but loom has become one of the most inspiring sequencers i’ve used. so much so that i wanted to try to do more of my compositional process on loom beyond just the initial inspiration.

so that was the goal for this project. i removed a lot of features from loom to condense the screen to one page. and on that page there’s always a way to 1) modulate key without transposing all the notes the same amount (through the circle of 5ths), 2) move the pitches up or down within that key, and 3) record these movements and play them back (have since learned this is called ‘metasequencing’…).

i am not good at coding and it took a long time but i have been really happy with the results!

to do:
–decide what the other two knobs of the arc should do. torn between more interface for pattern recording or adding control for some sound parameters without having to menu dive (but which two??)

Requirements

molly the poly – Molly the Poly

grid (optional but without a grid the sequencer pattern is random generator only)
midi keyboard (optional)
arc (optional)

Documentation

quickstart:
–turn enc 3 to add/remove notes to a sequence. when you have a sequence you like,
–turn enc 1 to modulate the sequence through the circle of fifths, and/or
–turn enc 2 to transpose the sequence up/down within the current scale. when you hear some chords in an order you like,
– tap key 3 to turn on pattern recording, perform the key changes you like, then hit key 3 again.
–???
–song

other features:
key 2 toggles major/minor. if you hold key 2 it becomes shift.
shift + encoder 2 changes the amount encoder 2 moves per turn up to an octave.
shift + encoder 3 tweaks how the notes/triggers on loom interact.
sunday: normal loom
rush hour: triggers move slower than notes
gridlock: triggers don’t move
road rage: triggers are angry

known issues:
–if you want to use a midi keyboard you have to go to the menu, select a different midi device, and then reselect your midi device. i have no clue why this is, sorry.

Download

v1.1.2 - https://github.com/ypxk/traffic/archive/master.zip

github: https://github.com/ypxk/traffic

22 Likes

I am really digging this, thanks @ypxkap!

3 Likes

other two arc knobs:

I vote for controlling sound parameters. It would be neat if it’s assignable as well.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

not assignable but they should be working as of like 12 hours ago if you redownload!

they are pretty random though:
#3 controls adsr of env 2. counter clockwise more percussive, clockwise for more pad
#4 controls filter cutoff, resonance, env 1 attack/decay, filter tracking. counterclockwise for more percussive, clockwise for more brightness

i agree assignable would be good, but personally i don’t get enough utility out of just two parameters being mapped 1:1, there are too many parameters and sweet spots to just use cutoff/resonance or whatever. in my opinion the instrument rack mapping system in ableton is the gold standard, where more than one param can be assigned to a knob and the min/max value of the param can be set for each one and not for each knob.

i have no clue how to do that though.

but if you/anyone has ideas of stuff they’d want mapped to the arc other than what i put in here i could make some options as a meta param

1 Like

AWESOME!!!

downloading tonight!

thanks!!!

1 Like

small fix, midi clock in and clock out should now be working. i should have done it sooner, i did not actually realize how much fun midi sync is. sorry for the noise, here’s a video for the trouble.

4 Likes