Turning a script into a DIY device

I recently turned my CHAOS OP script into a eurorack module/device and it was an interesting process. Going form the endless computing power and memory of a Norns/RaspberryPi to an Arduino with 48kb of memory storage for the code was a challenge. But it worked and although the eurorack device version is different its heart and soul are sill there.

So I was wandering: who of you has turned a script into a device? What was your approach? How did you do it? What was the result? Would you do it again? And if you can share a picture of your creation. I bet there are a lot of interesting DIY devices you all made that would be inspiring to see!

Here is what I ended up with:

33 Likes

interesting. only other occurence i know of is @its_your_bedtime’s reels beeing ported to a physical device.

4 Likes

I’m working on it. I’m on my third device heading towards a stand alone spiritual successor to pixels. I’ve been learning the design/code/PCB/build process.

Just graduated from through hole to SMT design and I’m having the factory do as much if the work as possible.

Using QTPY for some stuff, but the synth I just finished is on teensy 4.0 which isn’t too far off from the Norns/pi combo.

I’m loving the experience. Making mistakes. Making INSTRUCTION MANUALS! I think my norns script reborn into hardware will be my 5th device. I’m getting sidetracked into a 4th device now.

4 Likes

Had a look at your website and there are really nice devices you have built! How did you learn making PCBs? I want to learn it too, to make my own but I am still hesitating because I suppose it is a very technical and complex process.

@deeg_deeg_deeg - the faceplate/interface looks nice and clean.
Was this 3d printed, laser cut, or made another way?

it was 3d printed but there is room for improvement since I am still new to 3d printing.

It’s a little daunting at first but you can do it!

Pick up KiCAD (free) or Eagle (free with limitations) and follow a few tutorials. The hardest part for me is finding the correct component footprints. Everything I read seems to indicate that making your own component footprints is “easy” but I haven’t found that to be the case. I can generally find what I need, sourcing from a few sites like tool Mouser provides (PC only) and SnapEDA (this one seems a little sketchy so use at your own risk).

Board placement is Tetris-like and I enjoy it. I’m probably not placing components "correctly, but my goal is to put bypass capacitors as close as possible to VCC on any chips and keep audio runs as short as possible. The routing of the traces is done by the software so you don’t need to do that.

Sending the boards into a manufacturer is usually pretty easy and most of them have guides to help you prep. There are more steps if you are going to have them do the SMT components at the factory, so be prepared for that. I stopped production of my last board juuuuussst in time when they sent it to me for review and it looked like one of the components they were going to mount was flipped.

And then you wait for the boards.

Right now I’m having trouble getting consistent 6mm tactile switch caps. Some are slightly bigger than others and just fall off. Uhg.

5 Likes