Twine: random granulator

Twine

“to form by twisting, intertwining, or interlacing…”

Explore the interactions between samples with two randomized granulators.

A texture/drone/inspiration generator…

twine

Requirements

• Norns (with Glut)

Documentation

Load two samples (or one sample twice!) via the parameters screen.

Use encoders 2 and 3 to seek through samples 1 and 2, respectively.

Use buttons 2 and 3 to re-randomize the granulators.

See parameters => random => ranges to tweak the randomizer.

Download

Install Glut and Twine via Maiden.

Be sure to reboot after installing Glut.

54 Likes

played around with this earlier today. Very fun and a nice way to explore new territories. Loading the same sample twice and subtly adjusting seek values :ok_hand:t2:

sooo much good stuff going on here lately! new and exciting dvelopments every week

8 Likes

I already know this is gonna be fire :heart_eyes:

Edit: it is :fire::fire::fire::open_mouth:

3 Likes

I haven’t explored granular stuff a lot but just with a bit of trying this, endless perfect textures are coming out – feels like cheating!!! This must be wrong somehow.

9 Likes

I am really enjoying the script and am looking forward to further explorations. Well done!

Here’s a first play.

5 Likes

This stuff is so good I could not leave it for 3 hours. Time to buy some faders to move the “seek” parameters

4 Likes

I’ll echo the above. Brilliant stuff, it really does feel like cheating! Thank you for this script!

2 Likes

@cfd90 this is so completely amazing.

it took about 1 second to get some really cool sounds from some piano playing:

this is a real treat of a script :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve been playing with this more today. So awesome, really love the textures you can get from this. Would there be a way to implement individual volume control over each sample? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just pushed an update:

• @ilikeorangethecolour: volume is now exposed in the parameters system for balancing levels between samples, encoder 1 still controls both volumes at once
  • @Ukasz: seek is now exposed in the parameters system for mapping to an external MIDI controller
  • Randomizer settings are now a separate section on first page of params, not a sub-menu
8 Likes

Does this have a mix control? Could it?

The demos here sound amazing - will try it this evening!

1 Like

Thanks! This script reminds me a bit of freeze function on the Clouds module :v:

1 Like

The last update adds 1 volume and 2 volume to parameters for per-sample volumes.

Encoder 1 on Norns still brings up/down both at once as a “main” volume knob.

edit: You can MIDI map the parameters to an external controller if you want knob access to both volumes at once.

3 Likes

I meant more like - can the sample play and we mix in the granulated effect on top - almost like using the script as effect.

I just had a quick play before i put the kids to bed…this is amazingly fun, easy and sounds brilliant. Thank you so much!

Interesting, got it.

I think the best way to achieve something similar to that “live” would be to load your samples into Twine for granular fx while playing the original sample via Norns Tape. Then use encoder 1 or the volume controls to bring up the fx level.

This only lets you play one of the original samples at a time, but Glut (the engine) doesn’t really have support for basic sample playback like this, so I think this is as close as one can get :slight_smile: Hope this helps!

this is magic! thank you.

1 Like

What do you think about LFO for modulating the SEEK? :smiley: (seek and destroy, he he.)

Just dropping an idea, the script is perfect as it is :v:

6 Likes

Its perfect as it is.

10 Likes
View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Myéline (@myeline.ldn)

Just had a fun sesh on this. Love it!

4 Likes

@Blit @danbond

Nice sounds :slight_smile: thanks both for sharing!

Also forgot to post - twine is on Maiden now.

1 Like