Unfiltered Audio SpecOps (and now Zip!)

Hi everyone,

I try to avoid self-promotion here, but I’ve spent the majority of this year focused on this project. Today, we released SpecOps, our spectral processing plugin. It has over 30 spectral effects and a patchable modulation system. It’s available in AAX/VST/VST3/AU on Windows and Mac. I would be happy to answer any questions!

12 Likes

This plugin is so much fun. I started playing with the demo this afternoon and suddenly four hours had gone by. I had high hopes when I started to see beta tester posts on fb and now after playing with it I can see it is even better than I expected.

2 Likes

Well that just made my day :smile:

The DSP for this was finished almost a year ago. We’ve spent pretty much the bulk of the time since iterating the interface and making it a lot more fun to use.

Is this going to be fully compatible with Roli Blocks as X-Y touchpads are great for all this audio mangling?

will have a play of the demo later.

1 Like

just saw this.

“Included external patch allows connection to a ROLI BLOCKS Lightpad, which provides tactile control over SpecOps’ control knobs and sliders for studio production and live performance”

1 Like

Yep! All of our patchable modulation system plugins (i.e. everything except G8 and the original Sandman) have ROLI Lightpad support.

EDIT: Beat me to it hahah

This is crazy. Resident Advisor just gave it a terrific review: https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/21682

4 Likes

just wanted to say,
i have dent, sandman and spec ops
they are all really amazing…
great stuff!
thanks!

1 Like

Agreed! Picked up Sandman Pro a couple of months ago and now I own all the Unfiltered plugins and they are easily my favorite audio processors at the moment.

1 Like

Wow, thank you both!! That’s awesome to hear.

We released a new plugin last night:

Zip is our new multi-mode compressor with different types of analysis algorithms (Brightness, Noisiness, Amplitude, etc.). Instead of only analyzing a signal’s amplitude like every other compressor, this can do things like ducking a signal when it gets too bright.

6 Likes

demoing,
holy shit! brightness into goopy into contrast is friggin incredible on drum breaks…
nailing it!

2 Likes

really cool idea! (x20)

2 Likes

@edison That’s awesome to hear!

@zebra Thank you! All credit for the idea and DSP on this one goes to my business partner, Josh. He worked on this while I was busy with the SpecOps DSP.

1 Like

Spec Ops is great- i havent had time to fully get my head around all possible uses. I’m still looking for a tool that gets rid of the tonal character in a Sound and thought i’d try Spec ops. hmmm somehow it allows me me to add more tonal varieties than i thought were possible (awesome=) but not subtract them - there might be a direction within the bandstop algorithm, right? this is 1 of the tools that need lots of work to see the potentials for future uses-hence a classic in the making!

1 Like

For subtle subtraction, I’d recommend using the region settings to isolate the problem area. From there, the following tools are useful:

• Region Cut - reduces amplitude in that region
  • Thinner - reduces bands that are not louder than their neighbors. This can reduce noise in a more subtle manner or hollow out some more intense regions.
  • Contrast - This amplifies dominant material while reducing quieter material.
  • Noise Filter - This eliminates bands below an amplitude threshold.
  • Topmost Solo - A more extreme version of Contrast. Keeps the loudest bin in a region while reducing everything else by an equal amount.

Nice write up of zip on CDM, congrats.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah it’s been a wish of mine to appear there for a while. I’m really happy about how nice the article is.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I already have Byome, is SpecOps a subset of that, or is it different enough that it’s worth having both?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Specops is very different, it’s all about spectral processing. (In the pre byome effects from UA, it’s the one that overlaps with byome the least afaik.)

For comparison, it covers bread and butter spectral tasks that overlap with things like Soundhack spectralgate and spectralcompand

But it also includes a host of more experimental tools, and effects that can be applied to specific segments of the spectral bins the fft creates. (In practice, the workflow with these effects feels a little like working with multiband processing, but it works differently under the hood and the effects are very different.) I also really like the workflow of setting something up and messing with the fft window type to get surprising results.

It’s really powerful, and has a wide range of uses from experimental mangling to stretching to more bread and butter stuff. But it also has a bit of a learning curve if you’re not used to spectral effects. Tbh I don’t feel like I ever got to know it well enough to reach for it very often.

2 Likes