UnGuitar

Extreme tuning and physically prepared guitar. I’m old fashioned.
For electronic “unguitaring” I don’t really use pedals - more likely to run it through a modular synth and/or plugins (esp. zebrify which is an amazing unguitaring tool).
Considering a gizmotron, despite the negative things I hear about it. I have a first gen Paul Vo wond but it didn’t really click for me - didn’t spend enough time with it though. The idea of the gizmo (and my childhood obsession with early 10cc / Creme and Godley) is more appealing to me than the Wond or the Ebow (I’ve used ebows but I always sound just like other people who use ebows when I try).
Electric guitars are so amazing just without ANYTHING though. Direct expression.
EDIT: Not at ALL implying “other people who use ebows” don’t often get amazing results. “Just like” was the wrong choice of words. I just found I had nothing original to add to that field so didn’t feel a pull to continue.

1 Like

Not exactly unguitar-ing, but one of my favourites David T Walker had this “pinky harp” technique that made the guitar sound like a harp. Once I learned to do it I cant stop using it, such a nice sound.

11 Likes

Norns has arrived, and running the OX into MLR is a total dream come true. Will post some stuff if I ever crawl out of my cave.

If it hasn’t been mentioned already, Ultomaton is fantastic for unguitar vagaries.

2 Likes

Not much original, but since it wasn’t mentioned, I say Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star reverb pedal, especially in crush mode, especially if externally pitch-controlled. I occasionally run it into an heavy distortion pedal later in the signal chain (that is the opposite of the usual distortion into reverb): the way the development and decay of the reverb level affects the distortion amount would create interesting textures. Just my two cents.

Talking about works of other, well, Lisbon by Keith Fullerton Whitman is easily my favorite un-guitar piece.

2 Likes

Thought this would be a good place to post a bit of @Justmat’s Bounds working some magic on a very simple guitar lick.

5 Likes
6 Likes

thank you so much for sharing this!! i read your post a while back and tried the drumstick between the strings trick. turns out it functions as a weird bouncing whammy bar as well. one of the resulting experiments made it onto my new “guitars only” e.p. based on dante’s inferno. track #9 is the most explicit example of “the drumstick guitar” (still not sure if i’m playing it “right”… is there a right way here?!) constructive criticism and any other ideas would be more than welcome…

2 Likes

I think the rules are:

1. Sound cool.
  2. Don’t break anything.
  3. If Rule 2 isn’t followed, @merlatte is not liable.

So, yep, seems all correct. Nice track! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Recorded my guitar yesterday while it was windy

11 Likes

A couple months ago I did this little ditty on a nylon string guitar using a pencil as a third bridge, similar to what a lot of you in this thread have done with drum sticks. Since it’s thinner, it’s less firmly attached and causes all of this buzzing and rattling.

4 Likes

that was gorgeous, thank you for sharing - especially liked the rattle on the lower strings

I’ll definitely be raiding my son’s pot of pencils at some point in the near future!!

1 Like

anyone know where to get a partial capo with individual ’ ’ fingers ’ ’ that depress any chosen strings

saw one in an instagram ad once and now im like … I want one …

seems like a useful tool for those folks (me) who only ever play open strings and harmonics (me) & hit the stings w/ household items (m e) so it sounds “ambient” ( ( me ))

3 Likes

could you be thinking of the Spider Capo?

2 Likes

yes that is the thing !

jokes aside it actually looks like a really smart and creatively useful

1 Like

Just came across this.

1 Like

A heads up that the heads for the spidercapo that let you capo harmonics are sold separately.

15 Likes

I’d love to hear some sounds from this

2 Likes

I should record some, will post here if I do :slight_smile: not actually used this thing much since I built it :-/

1 Like