Using a Grid as Drum Rack

rack

An implementation of the Ableton Drum Rack layout for the Monome 128. This tiny console script will create a new virtual instrument called Rack Monome to use with your DAW.

This script does not require MaxForLive. Download sources here.

Setup

Requirements

Install

• Open the terminal
  • type cd Documents
  • type git clone https://github.com/neauoire/rack.git
  • type cd rack
  • type sudo npm install
  • type node index

Whenever you want to use it

• type cd Documents/rack
  • type node index

Channel

By default, the rack monome will send to Channel 0, you can change channel by holding down the last key(bottom right), and pressing one of the 16 keys of the top row.

Demo

Layout

G0#  A0   A0#  B0   E3   F3   F3#  G3   C6   C6#  D6   D6#  CY   CY#  DY   DY#   
E0   F0   F0#  G0   C3   C3#  D3   D3#  G5#  A5   A5#  B5   E8   F8   F8#  G8   
C0   C0#  D0   D0#  G2#  A2   A2#  B2   E5   F5   F5#  G5   C8   C8#  D8   D8# 
GZ#  AZ   AZ#  BZ   E2   F2   F2#  G2   C5   C5#  D5   D5#  G7#  A7   A7#  B7  
EZ   FZ   FZ#  GZ   C2   C2#  D2   D2#  G4#  A4   A4#  B4   E7   F7   F7#  G7  
CZ   CZ#  DZ   DZ#  G1#  A1   A1#  B1   E4   F4   F4#  G4   C7   C7#  D7   D7# 
GY#  AY   AY#  BY   E1   F1   F1#  G1   C4   C4#  D4   D4#  G6#  A6   A6#  B6  
EY   FY   FY#  GY   C1   C1#  D1   D1#  G3#  A3   A3#  B3   E6   F6   F6#  G6  

Enjoy :slight_smile:

23 Likes

OOOOOO :smiley: thanks for this!

Thanks again @neauoire that was very nice of you to compile this

1 Like

I’m getting some errors when trying to install with sudo npm install

> midi@0.9.5 install /Users/filippomasi/Desktop/Music Software/rack/node_modules/midi
> node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/Users/filippomasi/Desktop/Music Software/rack/node_modules/midi/build'
gyp ERR! System Darwin 18.6.0
gyp ERR! command "/usr/local/Cellar/node/12.5.0/bin/node" "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /Users/filippomasi/Desktop/Music Software/rack/node_modules/midi
gyp ERR! node -v v12.5.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! midi@0.9.5 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the midi@0.9.5 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

mod edit: seems like this should go in Library? (also if more are coming, we may want a node tag?)

3 Likes

Was thinking the same, maybe an ableton or midi util tag?

Hey @neauoire any chance you’d consider a rename?

I had a similar issue as @Prnts, which I still have to revisit today, but also realized that if you pull VCV-rack source code, the name of the git repo and related Document folder is Rack/

Not a huge deal, obviously. Just a thought. Naming, amirite?

1 Like

What you can do is just install rack in another directory. Rather than inside your Documents folder you can just tell terminal to go somewhere else. This would get around the naming issue.

Try installing it in another directory. Looks like you put it on your desktop nested a few folders down. Were you able to get the linn version installed and working?

I actually never installed in ~/Documents since I have bunch of audio repos etc in a directory called ~/Documents/workspace/AUDIO, but was wondering if installing into ~/Documents was a hardcoded requirement, but i just reread your comments and it looks like you got it working outside of that folder.

So now I have Linn and Rack in a folder called neauoire/ and linn works fine, but even with sudo npm install, Rack gives me the following:

WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/easymidi-36aa7c17/examples'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/easymidi-36aa7c17/tests'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/nan-e86cae03/doc'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/nan-e86cae03/tools'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/test'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/test/fixture'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/msw'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/autom4te.cache'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/doc'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/doc/doxygen'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/doc/images'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/tests'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/tests/Debug'
WARN tar EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/.staging/midi-f63ae4bd/src/lib/RtMidi/tests/Release'

> midi@0.9.5 install /Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/midi
> node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/midi/build'
gyp ERR! stack     at Error (native)
gyp ERR! System Darwin 16.7.0
gyp ERR! command "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /Users/zeroship/Documents/workspace/AUDIO/neauoire/rack/node_modules/midi
gyp ERR! node -v v6.13.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! midi@0.9.5 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the midi@0.9.5 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Users/zeroship/.npm/_logs/2019-07-12T17_56_39_122Z-debug.log

rack git/master  9s
❯```

UPDATE: killing the package-lock.json cut my errors in half to only permissions issues, but still strange. Maybe a versioning issue?

Ok so if you read mine you’d see that my issue was that I had installed linn the first time in my Home directory. When I installed rack in that same directory everything ended up being fine. Im not sure but I think they would need to be installed in the same location

Yeah both Linn and Rack are in a neauoire/ directory, gonna try to kill and reinstall.

@Prnts & @neauoire got it sorted, but I think there was an issue using Sudo when installing node modules (sudo npm install).

We ran into this issue at work too. Here’s an article that explains why better than I ever could:

Edit: @Prnts thank you for the help!

2 Likes

I will update the README and not use sudo, and possibly not put it in Documents, I didn’t realize that it would interfere with VCV.

@tehn I didn’t put it as library because it didn’t feel like a library but more like an application, I didn’t want to tag it norns or max4live. Maybe something like #standalone might work, or just #grid?

1 Like

Hmmm, still getting no lights when running this or Linn.

After starting either of the apps in a terminal, Rack Monome and/or Linn Monome show up in Ableton as a midi source, but no lights, no midi being sent. No dice on Midi Monitor either. Thoughts?

I was running node 6.13.1 (migrating work apps to 8 currently), so I switched to 10.16.0 and still no dice…

Ugh, I think it’s my mac not recognizing my grid out of nowhere. It’s the latest grid with the latest serial osc installed. I used to have to trouble shoot my old grid, but this one has always just worked. Blergh

UPDATE/SOLVED:
had to delete that pesky FTDI kext

In case it’s any help for anyone else using a 2018 grid that doesn’t get recognized with the latest serialOSC installed, I deleted /Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext and everything works.

I’ll stop posting now :grimacing:

Seems to be working here, I wonder if someone else has that issue. I’m afraid the only thing I can say is, maybe try to reboot…

• The node script isn’t spitting out any errors right?
  • When you press keys in the Linn script, does it display things in the console?
1 Like

All sorted, sorry to bother. Something something FTDI kext. Deleted /Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext and I’m good to go.

Unclear what generates that. I tend to get my hands into a ton of music tech at once so I love causing recursive chaos throughout my machine. It’s my “learning” style!

2 Likes

Sounds like my setup as well.