Using libmonome on M1 processors

Hello, after searching the forum with different m1 keyword configurations with no results I decided to create this topic.

This is first a question:

Are there already m1 compatible libraries and bundle somewhere?

And a report:

I managed to compile them manually, place them in the right location and after restarting the daemon everything is working as expected.

Perhaps I overlooked something but it seems there is no m1 processor version of any of the libmonome/serialosc utils? I read rosetta emulation can take up excessive ram and power while running and since serialoscd is constantly running I was a bit bothered.

I have successfully compiled libmonome and serialosc tools on my machine and replaced the contents of the installed serialosc.bundle and everything seems to work as expected. The only small problem I encountered is that I had to manually compile and install as well liblo
for this to work.



HI! I reached out to monome support and they pointed me towards this thread. I was trying to see how I could get my grid to work on my new M1 machine. Do you have any details you could share on how you made this happen? Which, btw is next level lol! I have been using the monome since 2007, so I had to trouvbleshoot multiple times through the years but I’m not a programmer or anything so I don’t even know where to begin.
Either way thanks!


I recommend you go through the default way of getting it to work following the momome docs, because the default setup works fine. What I did is only making sure I’m using M1 binaries instead of the default ones, but as I said the default works perfectly, and you should have that one working before trying any other alternative.

Bit of detail:
What I basically did was compiling the libmonome project which in turn compiles serialosc, and then replaced the serialoscd binary inside the official MacOs bundle (and other binaries inside /usr/local/bin directory). If you would like to try that I can help more in detail, but one last time, please make sure the default setup works before trying other ways.


i’m working on getting an m1-something so i can post up new installers, thanks for your patience!


Let me know if I can help by sharing the precompiled binaries, I already created a repo earlier, but not entirely sure that would just work as is(?)

I also just noticed this tool, cross compiles for mac and claims being able to target arm64 , arm64e , x86_64 , x86_64h and i386 from linux.

@tehn already mentioned that they were working on the M1 installers but I was also emailing with them and this is the more in depth answer to my question:

currently, there are no native compiled libraries for serialosc or libmonome on M1 chips – we simply don’t yet have access to an M1-powered machine. we have one on order, though, so we’ll be compiling and releasing the M1-native versions soon!

if you have an account on lines, perhaps the user who created this thread can provide their compiled version in the meantime: Using libmonome on M1 processors