Using norns as modular sequencer

I know this is addressed in the manual, but to use norns to sequence modular, you need a 2pal or midi to cv converter and that’s safe for the connection level? Thanks for any advice!

received_513653656498355 (1)

1 Like

Crow is probably the best way to do this.

6 Likes

You could use an usb to midi converter. And a module which transforms this to cv and gates.

Or the crow module from Monome. I’m waiting for mine to arrive.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering about ways of doing this recently, could it also be achieved with a Korg SQ-1 sequencer, routing the midi from Norns to Ableton to SQ1?

1 Like

I’ve done this, and also using a cable to the micro USB input of an Ornament and Crime (running suitable apps on Hemisphere Suite) too.

Norns is a USB host. Computer is also USB host. Need a midi interface between computer and norns for that first bit.

Not sure about the SQ 1 part of the q.

1 Like

thanks, I have that Sevilla Soft Midi USB-USB interface, think the SQ 1 can be used as a midi to cv converter, so was hoping to route midi from Norns via Ableton to it.

2 Likes

got bit trying something similar w/o a midi interface a few months back >.<

If you don’t have a case already or are looking for another, NiftyCase has a built in midi to CV converter to save on hp.

1 Like

i wish there were an easy way to chain 2 crows together so that you could easily control 4 voices in the modular from norns with 2 crows (each have 2 pairs of v/oct and gate)

1 Like

my understanding is this is coming very very very soon.

In the mean time, if you have a comparator in your rack, you can use it to derive gates from a CV sequence and bam – quad sequencing off one Crow.

This. I’ve done that too and worked great

1 Like

You can already do this via ii, just use the second crow for pitch and the first for gate/envelope because ASL doesn’t (didn’t? I haven’t checked recently) work over ii yet

1 Like