Using Norns live. How to change scripts and presets quicker?

I want to use Norns in a live set. For this is crucial to be able to change scripts and presets as quick as posible, so I am asking you about your strategies using Norns live.

• It’s possible to have Presets that automatically load the script and its parameters? Or you always need to load the script and then afterwards load the preset with the parameters?
  • Can the scripts or presets be loaded with MIDI messages?

How do you do it?

4 Likes

this could be helpful: pset_seq mod

if i was playing live with norns i would limit myself to one script. how many scripts and psets are you planning on using?

3 Likes

I would use a looper or some other playback device to keep sounds going while you change scripts!

4 Likes

you might experiment adding the code to load your presets in the scripts you want to perform. it would fully automate the process, but it would simplify it considerably.

in theory, it is pretty simple, just add one short line of code (params.read(filename) at the end of each scripts’ init function. here’s a reference to the api doc.

2 Likes

extending this a bit: add a midi message listener that responds to program change messages to change psets

3 Likes

@tyleretters this is a very helpful mod. I will have have a look. At this point, I want to use 2 scripts (Cheat Codes 2 and Grainchild) with 2-3 presets for each script.
It would be great to also have a mod that could change scripts using MIDI. Does this exist?

@ParliamentLite I thought about using a looper or a little sequence for the transitions, so I have time to change scripts, but if there is a better/faster way to do it…

@jaseknighter Thanks for the code to automate process to load a default preset. This is very helpful. I will try it.

@21echoes Thanks. I am not good at coding, so using the existing mods (the suggested pset_seq mod) is the way to go for me.

1 Like

in my last lives i used norns w/ plonky and less concepts.
and the only way i found using two different scripts was to switching manually btw them meanwhile i was playing my modular.

2 Likes

just curious, has your Norns ever locked up going back and forth between scripts like that?

Crossing fingers at the moment i had no problem, but it’s not so comfortable.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Norns in live sets through 2021, doing it all manually like a sucker! I prepare the PSETs ahead of time, but it is nerve-wracking to execute in a live setting. I’ve never had any Norns lockups, but get them from time-to time in the studio.

1 Like

That’s great. Preparing the PSETs is a must then. How many scripts do you use live?
The knobs from my Fates doesn’t always work well, and it would be even more difficult for me to do this.

It’s worth opening it up and checking the quality of the solder joints on the encoders.

My Fates had issues (sometimes didn’t register turns, got worse over time) with the encoders due to rather dry/poor solder joints.

Reflowing the joints and adding solder sorted them all.

Totally worth doing for playing live.

2 Likes

just use multiple norns.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@edrapley Thanks. I’ll try to open it and have a look…

@SPIKE Yes. I am considering buying a second one

2 Likes