—arcologies— v1.1.10

an interactive environment for designing 2d sound arcologies with norns and grid

join me october 10th for a a Music Hackspace workshop!

Through a series of “breakout-room” team challenges you will learn how to build and sculpt evolving sound compositions with arcologies.

We’ll cover signal flow, melodies, chords, and evolving systems with modulation, euclidean rhythms, and Turing machines.

97 Likes

This project is so wild. I have no idea what it is and simultaneously a million ideas of what it could be.

17 Likes

whatever this is, I’m here for it

6 Likes

genius. og maxim sim- builder for towers of synth industry.

4 Likes

exactly my thought… “is this SimEarth for generative music?”

4 Likes

from the docs:

The design of arcologies heavily inspired by the two-dimensionality of Orca, the polymorphism of ornament & crime, the immediacy of meadowphysics, and the uncompromising vision of cheat codes. I’ve always been interested in emergence and wanted to push that line of inquiry further than I have before. Other curios played a part, too: Dwarf Fortress, the tower defensegenre, SimCity, and the Eno / Chilvers suite of generative applications, carbon-based life, water, the anthropocene, supply chains, The Mushroom at the End of the World, The Dark Mountain Project, Eco Futurism Corp, “seasteading”, the gedankenexperiment-prompt: “sound artist’s work in a William Gibson novel?”, Conway’s Game of Life, Garfield Park Conservatory, the Epcot Center, Buckminster Fuller, and the need to challenge myself and create something beautiful during this fucking pandemic. And, of course, actual arcologies and the architectural movement known as metabolism .

46 Likes

this is really gorgeous work and such a gesture of heart. it makes playable so many of the ideas that (to me) feel latent at the core of this platform. super stoked for the release, thank you for bringing this to life with this level care and joy, @tyleretters

12 Likes

throwing in my humble 2 cents to say as well: looks f’ing brilliant…

2 Likes

The UI is so killer. Great work. Very excited to try this out. :drum:

3 Likes

Looks incredible.
Although I was expecting it would be focused on Arc given the name of the app.

2 Likes

I totally resonate with the concept. Looking forward to it. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you @dan_derks, that means so much to me. this wouldn’t exist without all your help, inspiration, and patience.

aye it isn’t a pun. i wrestled with this a bit but i was too smitten with the name to pass on it. arc support will come later.

8 Likes

33 Likes

mythic + emergent + simulation

this is a wonderful creation. very much looking forward to the livestream!

12 Likes

I love everything about this @tyleretters

4 Likes

cannot wait for this, such an inspiring convergence of ideas and life philosophies. a few years ago my wife and I spent a week living in a treehouse on an amazing plot built over hot springs, which was being turned into a huge community gathering place. the owner was one of the main engineers of Biosphere 2 - he was out most of the stay but we did get to talk to him on our last day. fascinating person dedicating his life to many of these ideas.

also really enjoyed Arcosanti. would be cool to see a Foundry added at some point :wink:

10 Likes

This looks incredible! :exploding_head:

1 Like

omg what the heck is this. this is incredible.

i enjoy this word.

1 Like

The only problem I have is not yet having a Grid to go with my Norns shield - otherwise this looks conceptually and sounds musically intriguing, which is the best combination.

Arcosanti is equally inspiring!

2 Likes

Having spent a little time on the archaeological expedition and checking out some crypts later this afternoon, I can say that this raises the bar for generative sequencers.

3 Likes