Some new bits for your W/. If anyone would like to help beta test, I’d love to hear your feedback on this new firmware! There’s a lot of changes (listed below). A lot changed under the hood to make this possible, so it’s likely not completely correct yet!
Download & instructions here.
While updating will not delete your audio or cuepoints, it’s likely that the bugs people were experiencing were caused by the original firmware incorrectly manipulating the cue list. We’re going to add a (runtime) command to delete all cues on a given tape (before 1.1), but right now it’s only possible with a ‘clear-tape’ startup command which also deletes the audio. Please use a fresh tape, or clear one before testing this new firmware.
To clear a tape: Hold record + down while turning on the synth, then follow the prompts.
Remaining issues for 1.1 release:
- BUG fastforwarding to end of loop in CUE mode can lead to unresponsive cue navigation
- BUG clicks when using LIVE.THAT cv while live-looping & changing direction (fw/rv loops are off-by-one frame)
- BUG clicks in very short loops when using LIVE.THAT
- FEATURE repair damaged cue list at module/tape load (currently just clears)
Edit: Changelog Beta12
- FIX cv functions in LIVE mode no longer stop working after hitting start/end of tape
- FIX NAV.THAT now checks if the cv level can free a tape locked at the start/end
Edit: Changelog Beta10
- FIX using both CVs while looping, and manually toggling NAV/LIVE can cause hard CRASH
- LIVE.THIS cue redirection better handles edge cases
- First cue on tape can now be looped in reverse
Edit: Changelog Beta9
- FIX last-cue-location correctly restored after power-cycle (was saving, but not loading)
- FIX unresponsive forward playback due to wild pointer access
Edit: Changelog Beta8
- FIX tape-selection & last-cue-location saved between power cycles
- REGRESSION audio glitch when changing tapes returns
Edit: Changelog Beta7
- FIX playback aliasing when tape moving in reverse
- FIX tape-selection was being forced to top-left since b6
Edit: Changelog Beta6
- input monitoring now continues to work while changing tapes (reduced click even further)
- FIX: module no longer freezes after ~10+ minutes of non-use
Edit: Changelog Beta5
- save engine overhauled. all changes are guaranteed to save within 5 seconds of occuring. power-loss while recording will no longer lose everything since stopping the tape.
- tape-switching no longer has a loud click
- improvements in sd driver for reliability & error handling
- more data integrity checks on module / tape load
Edit: Changelog Beta4
- clicks on loop-boundaries have been dramatically reduced
- record & overdub level have more smoothing to reduce clicks when activating/deactivating recording
Edit: Changelog Beta3
- fix issue where tape-selector couldn’t be accessed
Edit: Changelog Beta2
- increase sdcard buffer for lower chance of dropouts
- fixed some undefined behaviour when adding a cue / setting loop fails
- loop lights in CUE mode now reflect full traversable distance
- fixed issue where CUE mode, after the last cue, would stop when winding forward
- if leaving CUE mode after the last cue, loop will now turn off automatically
- refined some led feedback (clearer loop status indication)
- added ‘clear cues’ command [in global, hold loop for 1 second, then press record] (WIP)
- audition in CUE mode avoids some undefined behaviour with unexpected command combos
- writing to microcontrollers flash (tape-selection) is now irq protected (hopefully
fixes, forgotten tape after reboot)
For the W/ project, since the initial 1.0 release.
A lot of this is from memory so likely missing bits.
- If SD card is not blank but has invalid data, W/ will re-initialize it (fixes case where W/ freezes after completing Izzy)
- fix crash in I2C driver where too many commands would lock up the i2c bus
- light driver is more efficient, faster (120hz), and has 4x as many brightness levels.
- corrected numerous issues in the cue navigation system. particularly addressing start & end of tape situations.
- fixed issue where the start of the tape could be ‘moved’ in CUE mode (which would mess up all the other cues!)
- SD card driver no longer freezes if a page is requested that is outside the range of memory (previously resulted in playback & recording failing until restart)
- fastforward & rewind now work correctly after exiting CUE mode
- changes in global mode are saved upon leaving global
- fixed crashes when changing tapes
- after changing tapes, the tape is now always in NAV mode
- tapes default to output-monitoring ON after factory reset
- THIS CV in NAV mode now works correctly for reverse motion (THAT cv, or ‘rewind’)
- THIS CV in CUE mode now one-shots correctly if CV was already inserted before switching from NAV mode
- corrected high-speed recording resampler. much less aliasing above 1x speed
- playback resampling now uses 3rd-order lagrange interpolation (less aliasing, better HF response)