Washington D.C. (Events, Groups, Workshops, etc.)

Hey all - hoping to start a thread here for posts about shows/workshops/groups/meetups happening in and around the DC area! There have been some posts about Rhizome and Modular on the Mall events in the past, but I figured it’d be nice to consolidate!

I’m not yet in the area but will be by early-ish 2023. Hoping to get some tips on what to check out in the experimental (music/art) scene and make some connections by the time I move up :slight_smile: Will definitely post when I arrive if folks are interested in meeting up!

5 Likes

Check out Baltimore’s scene, too. It’s close and vibrant, with a conservatory and an art school feeding the local scene, in addition to a bunch of lovely weirdos from elsewhere (of which I used to be one).

The Red Room Collective and its venue in Charles Village is one place to start. There’s a lot of overlap between scenes, so that will readily lead to other parts of the community.

4 Likes

Hey there! We have an active scene around the DMV with regular meetups and shows. I organize the DC Modular Collective and we (usually) meet the 4th Sunday of every month at Rhizome DC from Noon-4 pm. We have a discord channel and if you PM me, I’ll send an invite and you can also follow on Insta @dc_modular_collective and me @resonant_space

Sonic Frontiers–our DCMC spring and fall event with performances, workshops and video art at the Brentwood Arts Exchange.

Modular on the Mall - Monthly (more or less) performances at the DC War Memorial from spring to fall. @modularonthemall

Beeps, Boops and Beers - semi regular event at Aslin Brewing in Alexandria VA

Synth Picnic - we chill with battery powered synths and have breakfast - organized by @tangent_universes

Baltimore – shows at The Depot, Fadensonnen, True Vine and others.

Plus various one-off shows at Rhizome and elsewhere.

4 Likes