Web apps for music/video/etc. making

This is a wiki post that collects web apps that are creative tools for making music, visual and other forms of art.

When adding new apps to this top post, please include the name, a link to the app, and a brief description as to what the app is for. If you created the web app, please feel free to include “created by @your_lines_username”.

If the web app is not free, or causes issues that you know about, it could be good to include that in the description.

Right now it’s just a simple bullet point list, but we can figure out more complex formatting and if it makes sense to add more detail (like if a particular web app outputs MIDI or something) once we get some items in here.

Music-making apps:

Visual creation apps:

• Hydra - Live coding networked visuals runtime

As far as stuff under this top wiki post–I would personally love to see links to things you’ve built using these (if the apps include hyperlink-saved parameters), or audio recordings with some patch notes on what you used, things you tried you liked, ideas for new web apps or early alphas that you want feedback on, etc!

great idea. Happy to be included

beepbox makes glitch beats
https://beepbox.co
as used in https://lcrp.bandcamp.com/track/underground

In case some of you are not familiar with how WIKI posts work on discourse (i.e. this forum). You can edit the first post of this thread by clicking on “edit” in the bottom right corner of the post.

@lettersonsounds thank you for adding the faust playground! It is a ton of fun, reminds me a lot of the BEAP audio package for max. A very cool library of sounds and effects that are accessible right out of the box. Clicking “edit” seemed to get me to what looked to be a pretty complex modulation routing screen, which I will explore sometime.

I couldn’t figure out how to get the online saving to work, but I was able to download this simple generative patch I made of harp and birdsound.

Small_Exemple.jfaust (532.7 KB)

My latest discovery on my hunt for cool web apps got me so excited I felt the need to bump this thread :sweat_smile:

There are a number of WASM-based emulations by Jari Kleimola of popular plugins over at WAM. There are two emulations of the DX7 (including the popular Dexed), the OB-XA, and the CZ-101. I am super impressed with the sound and performance of these, they aren’t even making my computer fan spin!

Added a couple of new apps. First is React-Cital Piano which is a cool little keyboard-controlled piano that includes a few “sheet music” scroes of popular holiday songs–I had fun trying to play a few of them. Our very own @zfigz worked on this as part of a project for a class assignment.

Next up is Tones.fm which is a relatively simple bar-based step sequencer with a 1-oscillator subtractive synth and a simple rhythm track. What is cool about it is that there is both a running feed of new creations using the app, as well as a charts feature for community favorites. I happened upon this one near the top of that, which I thought was a really pretty, contemplative melody.

I think both of these apps highlight something that is a unique benefit to building musical instruments for the web, which is that it is relatively easy to code up additional augmentation features or contextual information right next to the instrument’s controls. There are not the same sorts of panel-size limitations as there are with hardware instruments, or the more imperative-based “pixel placement” style GUI of more traditional music software app dev environments like VSTs (at least I think that is the case).

websdr.org - a literal world of signals and noise to sample

you were not kidding wow

Finally getting around to playing with Hydra–tons of fun. I’ve always thought the LZX stuff seemed very cool, and it is amazing to access to something conceptually similar that was very easy to get started with, and looks to be extremely deep in terms of the types of processing you can do. Here’s what I came up with this evening.

instant THX-1138 soundtrack generator :slight_smile: