Wet Summer Sidewalk — venisonspawnsquid EP

Hey! I released a little EP into the world today — a 17~ min collage of radio recordings, feedback systems, guitar noodling, and noise.

(Also available on Spotify, Apple Music, and wherever else Distrokid blasts releases)

I imagine some folks had similar experiences, but when I was about 10 or so I spent a lot of time sitting in front of my mom’s dual cassette boombox recording things off the radio, or using the built in mic to record songs and skits with my brother. In some ways this collection feels like a return to that. A lot of what you’ll hear are recordings I made while exploring http://www.websdr.org.

I guess this EP is about listening, but also absorbing things that are thrown at you or just exist in the ether. The titles are all spam accounts my friend has dealt with. These are attempts to tame or structure chaos, but also just acceptance that I can’t.

Sound sources:
I work pretty destructively, so to be honest I don’t even know what created some of these sounds. I know the second track is a patch that I believe only used a Maths (with some radio recordings and reverb). There’s some no-input mixer, some guitar, and maybe Ableton synths or the Novation Summit I recently sold. I don’t remember!

Thanks for listening!

8 Likes

Very beautiful. It sounds like pure expression, ie that it came from you no matter what equipment were involved. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like