What are you listening to?

llllllll

Been listening to this non-stop! Great track, I love that glitchy middle section. Really like the video too! Looking forward to June 1st.

I can’t get the second song off of my head…

i totally slept on this one too, despite getting seemingly weekly emails from important about their barn conversion

if there’s a better soundtrack for making breakfast on a crisp chicago spring morning, i don’t want to hear it

hey i just got that Bellows record on Vinyl. Really nice.

Also do you like Dead Fader?

This thread and community is so great, endless inspiration, thanks y’all.
Couple of albums I’ve been going back to for a while now:

Sososo very good, moments of that sublime feeling of immersion when it draws you in and subsumes your attention. After not hearing it for a while i listened 3-4 times in part and whole within a day. Not sure why i like it so much, as it is very different from the electronic music ive been listening to and creating; maybe this is part of what makes it so good. The vocalist is really interesting, surprising, varied. Instrumentation is relatively simple, but the composition and arrangement is really dynamic. I think there is some complex rhythmic interplay going on, but its beyond my knowledge to describe in musical terms. Would be interesting to hear your opinions and interpretation of the album.

Here is another i find myself returning to. Also varied in approach, more electronic, but with organic sounds also. Really like the integration of parts, the flow and progression of the songs. They take you on a little journey, great moments of building tension and release.

Anybody else familiar? What do you like about these albums?

for UK pals, would recommend this Late Junction with Toshimaru Nakamura

soundtrack for my walpurgis:

What.

Bit dull, bit sunny, bit rainy. Therefore S U R V I V E is the order of the day.

Some nostalgic feels:

:goat:

a stunning debut that earns every moment, from violinist and improviser Erica Dicker.

Expanded Liner Notes

Bone Atlas
I once came across the skeleton of a raptor in the woods that looked like it exploded. The skull lay cracked at the base of a tall spruce and the
bones and remnants of feathers radiated away from the trunk in such a way I could only imagine this creature shattered upon impact with the tree.
In a world without magic and a culture with no contemporaneous mythology, I take comfort in the strength of my own imagination and reflect on
the stories our pre-scientific ancestors invented to account for things like cyclopses, griffins, gorgons, and dragons - all the bones littered in the
Turfan and Junggar basins in China, and the Gobi and Kizylkum deserts. Our geomythology depends upon concrete reactions to piles of bones.

Białystok
In many ancient cultures, symbolic significance is ascribed to the four cardinal directions. In the tradition of the Lakota people, each direction
connotes a particular affect and color determined by characteristics particular to one of the four winds. Chinese Feng Shui attributes the qualities
of animals from the Chinese Zodiac to each one of the directions. Certain Celtic traditions make elemental associations with them. In many senses
I am always drawn North and East. In my dreams I face a bitter northern wind, beg for wisdom and mercy, and walk eastward across rolling steppes.
In waking life, I face you and play the violin in the northeastern part of my self. After seeing paintings by Max Weber, I used to imagine my family
came from Białystok, the place of Weber’s birth and a city in the most northeastern reaches of what is now Poland. No matter where I am, I am
always resisting Earth on my two feet, straining to reach its most remote corner.

Sadr (Gamma Cygni)
Sadr is the third brightest star in the constellation Cygnus and forms the intersecting point of an asterism known as the Northern Cross. In Arabic,
sadr means “breast” or “chest” and refers to the star’s position at the heart of the swan-constellation. Sadr, also called Gamma Cygni, is 150
times the size of our Sun and its yellow light reaches Earth after traveling approximately 1800 light-years across the Milky Way. It was clearly
visible the night I saw the aurora borealis for the very first time on a night-time drive from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis.

Strix Nebulosa is the binomial name for the great gray owl. A large disc of facial feathers acts like a satellite dish, directing sound to the bird’s
asymmetrically placed ears, enabling it to hear better than any other owl. Its gift makes it a deadly winter hunter; it can hear the scurrying of
small rodents beneath deep blankets of snow. I have cherished Mary Oliver’s poem “White Owl Flies Into and Out of a the Field” for many years.
In my heart I am convinced the creature she describes is neither a barn owl or a snowy owl, but the Phantom of the North - my boreal totem -
the great gray.

If you’re into Ghost Box, hauntology, old wyrd British folk and such, there’s a feature interview with Stephen Prince from one of my favourite eye-and-ear-candy repositories A Year in the Country on BBC radio’s iPlayer.

Lots of other good tracks bookend the interview. 90 minutes well-spent.

:

I’m not that hip to what’s what in comic books, but a friend convinced me to read these stories, and now they are some of my favorite. The sound design in the animated series is enough reason to watch the show, and moves me to this day.

Also, I’ve been revisiting the works of Sly & Robbie and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis.

Been into a 1970s/1980s Japanese ambient mood lately.

I think it started with me spontaneously acquiring a repressing of Hiroshi Yoshimura’s Music for 9 Postcards (from Light In The Attic Records), with no clue of what to expect. The title was just intriguing. It completely blew me away.

By lucky coincidence, I stumbled upon this article shortly after, which gave me a few more names to go on.

I particularly liked Midori Takada’s Through The Looking Glass.

If anyone has more recommendations that fit that theme, I’d love to hear them.

Great music indeed. I would also recommend Satoshi Ashikawa’s Still Way, it is actually my favorite among all the Japanese minimalist/ambient works.

Also worth checking out is Soichiro Suzuki’s World Standard project, any album really but especially the self titled debut from 1985. More pop oriented to be sure, but equally unique. The later albums have more of a folk influence.

You might also be interested in Italian minimalism, especially Lino Capra Vaccina, Luciano Cilio and Giusto Pio.