What are you listening to?

llllllll

Wasn’t familiar with him, thanks for that! I have been revisiting the much more recent past as a result of constant lavender flu listening…crystal stilts and vibracathedral orchestra!

the vocal -isms recall Nirvana somehow. the beat is just like that of “Spinning Top”, or “Vitamin C” on depressants. Cool tune, though

Love this album (and twenty koras)

These two previews of two new Important Records releases coming out next month:

and

“This musical piece consists only of sounds emitted and extracted from physical matter using emission spectroscopy as the sole basic technology.”

a little “Queen, but jump the shark” this morning

I can’t cope with that band, but Daisy (bass) is an old Louisville punk pal. Super sweet dude. He does a much better band called Lung. He plays drums and a friend of his plays cello and sings. Full disclosure: it is nothing like FS :slight_smile:

I am really in love with this fine compilation by Stephan Mathieu:

because something you just need some vitamin in form of music

Awesome – Pythagoron is a very late USCO project, done after all the founding members (Gerd Stern, Steve (now Nooruddeen) Durkee, Michael Callahan) had left. I’m astonished there isn’t a book or documentary on this movement, certainly one of the most interesting and far-reaching in the history of US counterculture. Stewart Brand and Timothy Leary were heavily involved for a while. I think of them as a more artistically engaged Drop City, they were always very engaged with the broader NY arts community, in a sense paralleling and mutually feeding off of the Warhol circle (Exploding Plastic Inevitable etc.) and many other experimental/intermedia groups as well. At the same time this was also a total living experiment, far more comprehensive than most artists’ groups are considered today.

Douglas Davis’ Art and The Future (1975) – a book I read when young but haven’t returned to for quite a while, has a lot on this movement, as I recall.

There’s a great overview in Art Journal (2010) it focuses on the art not necessarily how things were day to day.

http://www.intermediafoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ArtJournal_all_reduced.pdf

The article doesn’t mention Pythagoron but provides a good context for it.

It is amazing how much of our cultural history is being forgotten at a time when we need it most. How many alternate visions and futures are consigned to the dustbin of history while different and less visionary narratives stake their claim. Filmmaker Jordan Belson died in 2011 without a book/retrospective (although he’s discussed extensively in Youngblood’s Expanded Cinema), and with only a few films being available on DVD. Then there are artists like Keith Sanzenbach, so obscure most of their work has been lost, but whose work in the mid/late 1950’s suggests a radically different kind of beginning.

Thanks, I knew nothing about them!

love tracks like this that are just one BIG RIFF

oh wow and it just sort of melts away at the end, what a great tune!

i’ve only been listening to blood orange for around a year, he’s quickly become one of my favorite songwriters/pop culture figures. i heard this while i was in target the other day and thought ‘wow i wish all target music was this artful.’ this song is great, freetown sound is wonderful, dev is a treasure. can’t wait for LP4.