What are you listening to?

I’ve been trying to digest the Steamroom series on Bandcamp. Some of which I have, because they’re weird reissues of old O’Rourke records, but some of it is totally new. So much to digest and they’re such long pieces that it’s hard to really find the time and focus to commit to it. However, O’Rourke has always been one of my biggest inspirations for fearlessly exploring whatever caught his fancy and Gastr del Sol, with one of my other idols of my youth, David Grubbs, was a gateway drug to so much important music.

Anyone into the Steamroom stuff? Any favorites?

Looked up Leftfield after a long time. This is rather nice:

Somehow reminded me of The Chaos Engine opener:

Oh man, I’ve been obsessed with this stuff for a couple of years now. I think the best of the new (non-reissue) material is 4, 12, 20, 29, and the resent 35 (which is sort of a reissue - but does it really count if the original came out in the same year?)

Really enjoying this record.

I appreciate it’s not quite the usual thing for lines, but: this Jayda G set from Dekmantel is a storming disco/rnb/groove set. Summery and classic; uptempo party rather than technical mixing.

I hadn’t heard of this until I saw your post. Thank you so much for pointing it out! I’ve currently got some time off work and I have spent the last two days doing nothing but alternating between reading, listening to this and making music. So many beautiful, inspiring pieces. Of course, I haven’t gotten through all of them yet, but I’ve been picking them up randomly and so far I really enjoyed 3 (Four Corners), 11 (Mizu No Nai Umi Live) and 31 (Generator).

all time fave from the 90s…

I’m going to see Michel Chion do a 10 speaker surround sound performance tonight. I saw Curtis Roads do a 10 speaker surround show a couple of years back and it was very intense. I’m thinking Michel might be even more so.

truly exceptional mix
by Andrea Zarza, Curator of World and Traditional Music at the British Library

here is a description of sound materials, etc. : http://www.nts.live/editorial/british-library-sound-archive

Field recording

Whoa, this is unreal.