What sounds are you totally excited by?

shipping label created for the monome on it’s way to me! that means it will be arriving today right?

the track and the rest of the compilation are fantastic, digging through the rest of the label’s discography now. Thanks!

1 Like

I discovered Aho Ssan a few months ago. It’s a fantastic album and it reminds me of Paul Jebanasam’s work which absolutely love. So abstract and yet so beautiful:

4 Likes

Currently loving the sounds of SinOscFB. Crank up the feedback and pitch it down to subaudio frequencies for clicky/glitchy/broken digital timbres.

Building a Norns performance patch that builds a bit on the ideas of the Drone & Drama Teensy synth and finding this ^ is a fun addition.

3 Likes

do you have a recording of this :heart_eyes: (or a drop-in SC snippet)

@andrew Yep! Here’s a snippet from me messing around with the d&d script mentioned above.

7 Likes

One of my daily joys and self care practice these days is playing the flute. It was my first instrument, but I hadn’t touched it since middle school. Started again last June. And it’s all because hearing the delightful totally exciting sounds of Wilfrido Terrazas made me realize there are whole sound worlds in that tube that I had been completely sleeping on:

4 Likes
10 Likes

I went thru a massive phase of collecting these old sample packs, you can’t scroll through without hearing some legendary sounds. I forget the forum but some gaming forum somewhere has a megathread dedicated to finding them. Thanks for sharing this

2 Likes

Ooh I’ll have to look that up, there is an archive.org link going around that has a bunch of them.

1 Like

Samples used in anime/game music - Page 3 - VGMdb Forums Found it

1 Like

i love fret noises on a closely mic’d acoustic guitar.
even better if those fret noises are looped in some sampled way.

5 Likes

I’ve been pretty wowed by the wave field synthesis demonstrated by Elías Merino and Daniel del Río in this: https://eliasmerinodanieldelrio.bandcamp.com/album/structures-for-wave-field-synthesis

5 Likes

Lately:

1. the sounds in my memory of speech and assorted noises on old educational films as they began their run through poorly maintained 16mm projectors and their horrible squawk boxy speakers.
  2. the rain hitting the street and leaves here in Portland
  3. running recorded material through tons of comb filters through multiple instances of Zebrify while playing them with encoders.
3 Likes

Once I saw Florist play and @stripes guitar was making the most amazing old house sounds. They played a great set but whenever I think about it I just hear those creaky sounds!

1 Like

For half of your reply I thought you meant house music. I got intrigued, got confused and then got intrigued again.

4 Likes

Wave field synthesis sounds cool. Reminds me of gutter synthesis which is of the same ilk but goes filter twang orchestral https://tommudd.bandcamp.com/album/gutter-synthesis

3 Likes

Mmmm yeah that’s the stuff! I’m an analogue person myself (could never get my head around Supercollider which seems to excel at these kinds of digital synthesis), but these sounds/processes and the computer music scene fascinates me.

1 Like

worth listening with headphones to get the full effect of something that could not possibly exist in real life space, nevertheless giving off a very convincing illusion of doing so. and being very terrifying at that.

2 Likes

There are a lot of great mentions already, so I’m gonna focus on posting things that haven’t been mentioned yet. Still, I apologise in advance for the amount. I tried to limit it as much as possible, but its very difficult as I find there is soooo much inspiring stuff out there…

I find myself drawn to stuff that is very intricate and technical, specifically when it comes to drums and arrangement. A lot of that stuff I find in the more niche genres of metal, a few examples:

Ulcerate are one of my favorite bands ever, they have the best drummer alive IMO and their guitar work is insane as well.

Gorguts is another band, not as dark, but also with incredible songwriting.

On the more mellow side:

I like the jazzy and floaty feel and am also a big fan of their previous incarnation Ved Buens Ende…

Some more mentions for metal: Portal and Convulsing

When it comes to electronic, I always felt like jungle is one of the most timeless and fresh feeling styles ever. I love the original 90s stuff, but am constantly blown away by what it evolved into nowadays with hybrid styles, that still use complex and creative drum programming, mixed with other styles.

Some darker examples of this are these two guys, which continue to amaze me with every release:

Or on the more brighter side:

Some more mentions: Earl Grey, Thugwidow, Tim Reaper, Coco Bryce

I could go on and on…

(Sorry for the repost, didn’t know the BC embed code doesn’t work here)

7 Likes