4 Likes

Teletype
Ansible
TXi
TXo+
w/
Just Friends

Norns as host.

This whole multi-bus discussion has got me thinking :thinking: Not exactly sure how I’d split things up quite yet. I ended up placing an order for crow when I started dreaming about the possibilities of event-based modular/softcut interaction.

2 Likes

I’ve beem trying to get 16N to talk with my ER301, without success yet. But eventually my setupp will hopefully be:
Crow
Norns
Just Friends
ER301
16n

1 Like

Currently running:

TT
16n
JF
a handful of W/

but I have a crow coming and no real idea what paths it will take me down. I have two small eurorack cases that I split stuff between, so I’m interested in running two different i2c paths.

Now that Crow has been released, I’ve modified my setup.

Bus 1: (Norns) -> Crow + TXo + 301. Crow will act as a translator/bridge between Norns and 301 + 1 TXo.
(A 16n will be connected to Norns via USB midi and not to the i2c bus, grid and other midi gear also connected to Norns via USB and then I’ll script something so they can access the bus through Crow and talk to the 301 and TXo too, well they talk to Norns, then Norns talks to Crow and Crow spreads the word :D)

Bus 2: Since I’ve removed the Teletype (Master) which used to be in my main case I’ve installed it in another Eurorack case with 2 TXo and a 16n (i2c follower)

Both busses won’t be connected to each other.

OH I FORGOT ABOUT GEODE :exploding_head: We always forget Geode! And thus my first crows concept:

Any other Geode enthusiasts?

I’m thinking that keeping crow and Teletype on separate buses might be a good idea. TT as crow development playground? Guh, now I want an I2C mini patchbay panel…

1 Like

I think that Teletype is another way of thinking and coding that’s primarily why I’ve installed it in its own case dedicated to rhythm, drums, percussions. + It’s a “Master” and I want to avoid “confrontation”/ conflict between it and Crow :-)) Each one has its own kingdom :smiley:

1 Like

XOR Electronics said on the orthogonal devices forum that the NerdSEQ will get an i2c expander!

Currently i have bus 1: faderbank→301 and bus 2: (grid)+Teletype + TXo.

i’m quite tempted to go with a similar solution. That would mean all controllers would be USB powered (less cables) but in a trade-off i would end up with a mandatory external computer (laptop or norns).
I have yet to investigate how much faster i can script control schemes on said computer than on teletype. I’ll probably lean towards this less-overhead situation. (?)

One bus.

TT as leader, then…
WW running polyearthsea
Ansible
TXo
TXi
ER301
JF
16n faderbank

I’ve got a crow on they way in tandem with Fates once they’re ready. I also have plans to make an I2c switchable hub to shunt modules onto a non TT leading bus when using polyearthsea.

Current bus:
16n (leader) to ER-301 (follower)

When a certain package is delivered, second bus:
Crow (leader) to JF (follower)

Would love to have all four on same bus. I guess that would involve making 16n a follower that sends to Crow as leader which then reroutes that data to ER-301 & JF?

Very curious to see where this conversation leads!

SSP has an i2c port, but I don’t believe Bert’s programmed any hooks for it in the software just yet. That’s essentially waiting on a clear use case, which hopefully Crow users will make obvious for him with the above configurations.

ER-301
16n

Ansible
JF x3
W/ x2
Norns
Crow

I’m currently running the 301 and 16n on one bus.
Used to run ansible with poly earthsea connected to 1 JF and the 301.
I plan on having a norns-crow-JF and W/ configuration.
But I’m excited to see what other configurations people come up with and if I need a second crow.

Currently just Teletype and 16n.

My plan is crow and just friends only, with external USB from M4L. I have no idea what I’m doing with I2C but I got some female cables in the mail.

Yes, you’d need to re-build the firmware of the 16n in order to set it as a follower. It’s a very simple procedure, it only takes 2 minutes. Crow will read the values of the 16n if you write a script for that.

You must also be careful not to have multiple sets of pull-up resistors on the same bus. If the pull up resistors of the 16n faderbank cannot be switched off then do not activate Crow’s own pull-up resistors (they’re disabled by default, see here for more infos)

1 Like

Yup, I’ve changed the firmware on my 16n a bunch of times, so that won’t be a problem.

So, theoretically a script could be written that would pass the 16n data on to the ER-301 AS WELL AS be interpreted in some other way that would also be sent to JF. It’s a just a matter of writing that script.

Which means if Crow runs as leader and 16n, ER-301 and JF are all runnings as followers, then they can all be connected on the same bus at the same time. Heavy. I guess now I need to read the i2c thread about how to connect them all together on a single bus!

And thanks for the tip about the pull-up resistors, I probably would’ve missed that. My 16n is from @MichiganSynthWorks and it has a switch to turn on/off the pull ups, so that makes life easy.

1 Like

1 bus (* = One of these acts as leader)
Teletype*
ER-301
JF (on loan to a friend rn though)
TXi
TXo
White Whale (currently Polyearthsea*)
Crow
. midi below
Norns
2host (soon…just moved, need to finish putting together…will be replacing RME Babyface Pro & M-audio Midisport UNO)
Mac (Ableton Live/Max for Live)

I am also planning on getting the Meris Midi I/O or Chase Bliss Midibox plus my M-audio Midisport Uno to interface with my Meris Mercury7/PolyMoon and Elektron Heat with Norns

hey, folks. if you’ve got crow and er301, we need some help testing the crow/er301 support code that i wrote. @Galapagoose has the info here:

thanks!

2 Likes

i have never used i2c but am very excited to try. clearly i have no idea what i’m talking about but this is what i have and what i think the setup would be like

crow ( leader )
just friends ( follower )
w/ ( follower )
ansible ( follower )

laptop ( host )
norns ( host )

my ideal scenario is to use m4l to control just friends polyphonically and to do some more w/ manipulation. secondly, i would love to load scripts ( for now it would be other users kind enough to share their code ) on to crow that would be useful for live performance. lastly, i am interested in eventually using druid to livecode. cv controlled computer code !!!

1 Like