Why no Monome distribution in Europe?

Plenty of users there who won’t try or buy because of shipping costs and customs.
I personally often buy modules at Modularsquare in France or at Schneidersladen in Germany.

1 Like

Looks like they need to have a restock, but Escape from Noise in Sweden certainly sell Monome.
Maybe ask them if they can get hold of what you want?

http://escapefromnoise.com/en/manufacturer/monome/

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m already full of monome equipment bought directly, but i know that they are very rare in France because of the distribution.

There’s so much eurorack out there these days that I imagine it is difficult for retailers to keep anything like a selection of all manufacturers in stock.

I’m sure if Modularsquare or Schneiders had people asking for them to get some Monome modules in stock they would do so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FWIW I’ve heard exactly this from several store owners. MUCH better to have potential customers asking than manufacturers pushing.

1 Like

Escape From Noise is a great shop with good service over email contact. Highly recommended.

1 Like

No Monome stuff at Escape from Noise anymore?

we’ve actually completely discontinued using retailers.

the reasons are fundamentally economic: retailers take usually 30% of the list price, which is essentially the same profit margin we make as the designer/manufacturer. this is a huge deal for a company who is one person full time (me) plus a few part time people.

retailers pass on the shipping and import duty costs to you, so i believe the only thing you really save is convenience of not having to deal with UPS and duty payments (i apologize for this). that said, we only charge $40 for intl shipping (which costs us substantially more).

i wish we could do better, but commerce thrives on middle-man businesses (credit card companies, shipping, etc) so this was the choice we made to keep things running.

41 Likes

I should point out that even though it shipped from the US, it was a very quick delivery here to Stockholm and the customs for my norns was about $100 (thanks for also reporting the customs value properly!). much quicker than a lot of local companies have delivered in the past :slight_smile:

also much nicer to have the funds going direct to the source.

12 Likes

I respect this point of view

1 Like

I used to buy my monome stuff from Escape from noise, which by the way its a great shop, so is Ulf.

I completely understand monome´s commercial take on this, and since them changing the distribution i have been ordering direct a few times and i have had 0 problems.

Posting charges are good :slight_smile:

customs suck!

1 Like