Why Teletype?

Hey again everyone,
I just wanted to hear some personal testimonies and experiences (good and bad) with the Monome Teletype. It’s a pretty big investment (in both HP and price), but honestly I’m absolutely fascinated in what it offers and I haven’t seen anything else quite like it. Adding live coding into a modular system seems like an incredibly unique creative tool that I would love to explore with the rest of my modules as I grow my small but personal system. Before I pay off our lord @tehn, I just wanted to hear straight from my fellow Lines members on why you all love your Teletypes. Audio/Video examples are totally welcome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me, what elevates this unit to a different level is how it integrates with the monome system. The level of feedback and joy from that interaction is sublime. It forces me to rethink my approach to composition. While some modules focus on instant gratification, the teletype appeals to those who prefer delayed gratification. It’s more of a marination than a flash fry.

5 Likes

In Eurorack your medium is voltage. Teletype will generate the precise voltage you want in precisely the timing and manner you want it to.

Sometimes typing a bit of text is the fastest and most direct way to express a relationship between multiple values. Being able to do this with control voltage is sublime.

12 Likes

Precision and architecture. Teletype (+ now the Aleph as I just got one) is my cornerstone not only for the trilogy modules, but my entire cv setup.

2 Likes

i’ll echo what the others have said and add: memory. instant recall of sequences, i/o routing & monome module presets (via i2c) makes preparing live sets suuuuuuper fun.

3 Likes

Would you say the i2c is an essential addition to the Teletype? I haven’t done much research on it to be quite frank. Thank you all for your comments, they certainly have helped!

It’s not essential, but for my needs it’s the cornerstone of my interaction with the module. When dealing with simplified minimal interfaces, there are many decisions that have to be made for the sake of clarity and ease of use. Allowing teletype to reopen doors closed by hardware is huge for me.

1 Like

I’ve been considering purchasing a Teletype to use as a sequencer. I am intrigued about the whole arcane programming experience and it seems like it’d be fun for a while but how useful is it really? I love my crow and am having a hard time deciding if I should get a Teletype or just 2 extra crows. I just find lua to be endlessly more versatile and by connecting 2 crows through i2c I can work around my main issue with the crow, which is not having enough inputs/outputs.

I’d love to hear your experiences with the Teletype and what possibly made you fall in love with it.

I have only scratched the surface so far but there is something to be said about having your scripting environment IN the rack. Additionally, I can’t emphasize enough just how much you can get out of it in tandem with some i2c connected modules i.e. ER-301, Just Friends, etc. I believe (but actually need to confirm for myself) that you can also write functions to store in Crow and then call them in Teletype which also opens the door to sort of encapsulate functionality within Crow to access via Teletype.

The limitations in scripting with Teletype also lead to some really interesting results and I find I really enjoy the process of working around or rather within those constraints.

In summary, buy a Teletype and a couple more crows :innocent:

4 Likes

icymi there’s a lot of great TT performances on the flash crash archives: ARCHIVES | FLASH CRASH

7 Likes

I’m totally in love with teletype, to me it pretty much has the perfect balance between expressive power and code to the metal. I also have a crow (granted, much more recently acquired), and I prefer teletype by far.

Here are a few links to stuff I did with the teletype:

1. Pretty much all tracks on my my youtube channel since I got it 2 years ago are sequenced from teletype, all live, one take, no overdubs.
  2. I put all my teletype code on GitHub , if you wanna have a look at the code that’s used on the channel.
14 Likes

I find coding to be an incredibly expressive and pleasing way to commucate musical ideas, probably partly because of familiarity since I write software at my day job. However, because it’s already my job, I can’t bare to spend my free time staring further at a computer screen. I love Teletype because it uniquely facilitates making music via the medium I want in an environment my eyes and brain find relaxing. It’s great not to have the distractions of a full OS with internet.

Additionally, the limited number of lines, scenes etc. encourage reduction of ideas to their essential parts, which I find aids creativity. (vs. writing musical code in a laptop with limitless lines and scope for complexity)

5 Likes

this just sold me on the teletype. i must get away from limitless distraction.

3 Likes

The aesthetics of being a cyberpunk hacker coding my music loudly with a clicky mechanical keyboard triggering a fast array of programmatically changing jungle sample patterns is what drove me to pick one up again after I sold it because I didn’t have the time to dedicate to learning it.

9 Likes

This question is for anyone who bought a Teletype:

What was the video/feature that sealed the deal and made you know you wanted to buy Teletype?

2 Likes

The sounds made with teletype and just friends in the videos by Orange the Colour are what first turned me on to teletype.

After that, I could not get my mind of the idea of coding my own music.
Finally, not so much a feature, but the fact that you can fit the functionality of an entire rack of sequencer, gate and logic modules in a pretty small package sealed the decision for it to be the centre of my then small rack. I started modular with teletype and just friends only, and I wouldn’t have done it any other way.

10 Likes

For me, weirdly enough, it wasn’t a Teletype video, but rather this amazing video explaining a particular scheme for creating generative melodies.

I couldn’t get the idea out of my head that I wanted to recreate this in eurorack without a computer. I figured that surely it would be possible using teletype! Here’s what I eventually came up with.

I posted the code for this here: > teletype : code exchange - #683 by SimonKirby

11 Likes

For me it was the search for a sequencer that I would consider ‘modular in spirit’. By this I mean, something open-ended that doesn’t control the entire patch in a linear, centralized manner like a midi score, but instead lends itself to improvising along with and responding to the rest of one’s patching. This is where Teletype shines for me personally, although this is only one of many possible ways of using it.

As far as videos go, there’s some great tutorials but I did not find that they gave me a sense of how the module would integrate into my workflow. It was frankly a bit of a gamble, but glad I gave it a try.

5 Likes

For me a combination of various “just type” scenarios which enable me to get into zones (poly/microtonal) which were much more cumbersome for me to achieve before. Also, being already invested in the whole monome universe (eg grid!) probably was a factor. I often feel that my “sequencing needs” are rather simple, minimal but most sequencers feel like putting on someone else’s coat with too many pockets of the wrong size.
Videos that pushed me over the edge: @EqualTemperament’s teletype talks for sure, in particular this one. There are some great channels on Youtube by now, @zsazsaroboto is also really great to follow.
And yes, while the Teletype is a computer and you end up typing on a keyboard, it made me pick up a notebook and an ink pen again.
My main motivation to get a Teletype was to challenge my brain and give me some sort of escapism in a more “productive”/“creative” way. I am deeply concerned about the “way of the world” these days.

5 Likes