WW and Intellijel Metropolis

Anyone use their WW with a Metropolis? Thoughts on clock and such?

I often use my Metropolis as the master clock, mostly because it has a convenient dial-in BPM. WW clocks from it fine.

I almost always go Metropolis -> 4MS QCD -> WW / all sorts of other modules … for instant fun.

1 Like

Do you find it hard to start the Metropolis from a desired point, i.e. does not being able to shift or nudge the sequence become a source of concern when running it with another sequencer like WW? I only caught a glimpse of this type of problem from a review on modulargrid.

I’m currently using Metropolis to modulate a filter. Pittsburgh Modular MIDI3 clock out to WW clock in, WW clock out to Metropolis clock in. Metropolis pitch out to filter CV.

2 Likes

The modulargrid link author seems to be talking about being able to rotate the sequence steps in a Metropolis. It would certainly be possible to implement this in the firmware. I think it would be weird because you’d either have to reset to a step which isn’t the first, or move the steps behind the scenes so they’re out of sync with the display.

(Disclaimer: I work on the metropolis firmware…)

1 Like

Ok so now I see what he’s trying to achieve - somewhat counter to dealing with physical sliders and a little in the same vein as looking for a modular patch recall without having to move any cables.

Will be fun to see how in my case the WW, Metropolis, MI Grids, ES-3 compliment each other.

I own both the WW and of course the Metropolis… they’re kind of my “jamming” sequencers. I never really care if they are reset in sync to anything else as I tend to use them in a very hands on fashion with odd sequence lengths, polyrhythms, and jumping around a lot. If I have a sequence in either I’d like to keep and use in a more structured fashion I record it to my ER-101 and incorporate it in to a more structured form there.

1 Like

As others have mentioned, the White Whale and Metropolis function well together and are fairly complementary when making rhythm and melody-based compositions with a modular. While it may be a bit overkill, a Metropolis controlling a baseline with the White Whale on kick/hat/snare duties is an awesome recipe for electro tracks.

I like using my Metropolis as a master clock if I’m going to be tweaking the tempo in real time, as there is a noticeable normalization period when feeding the Metropolis changes in tempo via an external clock.

1 Like