Xaoc Leibniz Binary System (Drezno, Lipsk, Jena, ) patch ideas, tips, tricks

Two weeks with the Lebniz system and I’m loving it! I find myself using all three modules in most patches now. I keep finding new uses for them. It has helped guide me to a broader system/approach that works really well for me (which led to me buying a larger case after 2 years of saying I never would :grimacing:).

Jena is awesome! Last night I decided to dig into the wavetables more. I recorded some drone-y nonsense, and thought I’d share some of the sounds coming out of it. They’re very aggressive (industrial/Sunn O)))/noise territory). I’m using four modules here (and Ableton’s reverb): Jena > Joranalogue Filter 8 > Drezno (feedback) & Output || Joranalogue Contour is modulating the Jena.

9 Likes

I’ve been enjoying it this last week or so again too. Trying to record with my little system a bit most nights. Piecing together some song ideas that I’m pleased with :slight_smile:

I do wish there was some sort of second output.
Inverted CV perhaps or some sort of logic element processing the gate outputs somehow. Not exactly sure how that’d work. I suppose I really should consider a case where my Spock is in the mix perhaps.

A big part of Hainbach’s new rig. I haven’t seen it in many videos so happy to see it here. (And I still need to get the Jena.)

3 Likes

these are so weird and underutilized… might have to take the plunge!

1 Like

If you are interested in using this system for rhythms then you really need Jenna its hundreds of drum patters that you can mess with alone are great, but it can do so many other things. I agree, however, that it has a pretty high learning curve, it is easy to get frustrated, and if you are into control over everything that is happening, this is not for you. I think a lot of people bought one or more of these but simply could not figure out how to incorporate them into their work flow and sold them. All three are not indispensable for me. They also work great with Expert Sleepers new Disting Ex since they can provide endless triggers.

1 Like

Could you expand on that? I came up with a long list of potential patches with Drezno, and I have one on the way now. :slight_smile: But I haven’t figured out a compelling use case for the A-152, much less how A-152 and Drezno would complement each other.

Maybe because I feel like I have similar functionality (sequential switches, “analog” shift registers etc.) covered by Stages/CVilization/Teletype/Marbles and don’t tend to use those kinds of patches much. I do use CV-addressed values in Teletype or Bitwig Grid on occasion.

1 Like

Hmm, some possibilities there… I’ll have to keep this in mind as I start experimenting with Drezno. Thanks :slight_smile:

One thing I’ve definitely been thinking about is clock dividers, preferably CMOS-based so they’re fast enough for audio rate. And I also realized that Lipsk is basically 8x XORs thanks to the gate inputs, and might be more interesting than I first assumed, for some cross-pollination with feedback loops for instance… :thinking:

1 Like

Perhaps?

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the picture.
Is it possibble to put jena at the end of the chain, instead of lipsk?
I think im going to start just with drezno and lipsk, and add jena when things are more clear on my brain :slight_smile:

I think someone else will have to answer this question. I sold my eurorack system a little over a year ago, and don’t remember too much about the Leibniz system! I did just build a little pod though, with no room for Drezno or Jena.

1 Like

My Drezno arrived today. Quick thoughts:

• It’s good to have a scope, to get the levels adjusted.

• It’s one of the most interesting waveshapers in the world.:smiley: Fantastic ways to blend signals, add dirt and noise and weirdness. Also with CV.

• As a nonlinear feedback shift register it’s pretty wild. I set up a patch where the DAC through a wavefolder fed back to the ADC, clocked the DAC with an LFO, rotated bits using 8 short cables, triggered envelopes from a couple of bits and pitch from the wavefolder output. The patterns were a lot more “alive” than LFSR stuff, and would sometimes halt completely only to, surprisingly, start back up again spontaneously.

• I’ve had much less luck patching it as an LFSR. Maybe I got the patch wrong, but it was hard to keep anything interesting going. I also expected it to sound more like “Atari noises” just running audio in and only monitoring a couple of bits, but it didn’t really. I don’t think I will be letting go of my Zorlon Cannon anytime soon.

[EDIT] Correction! The key is to patch low-order output bits into the high ones, clock the DAC or ADC separately, and tweak the offset/gain as needed. Okay, but I’m still going to think about keeping Zorlon for a while. :slight_smile:

• I’m not convinced about Lipsk (after using some other modules to XOR a couple of bits).

• What would be awesome would be a bit shifter/rotator made for the subsystem, with CVable and clockable rotation. However, it occurs to me that Jena can do this by simply phase offsetting the bank B rising ramp. :smiley: I’m pretty eager to try Jena for many reasons.

• I tried Stages as a clock divider, and found it can work well into audio rates, but was less fun for mangling bits than I expected. And for processing things at less than audio rates, Teletype can certainly do the job Still, I’m going to be browsing various logic/clock/switch modules for a few days I think to see if anything strikes my fancy.

6 Likes

You should be able to. If I understand the manual correctly, you can route with the in/out however you want – though I haven’t tried it. There is even reference in the Jena manual of having one Lipsk before and one Lipsk after the Jena.

thanks @shh for your feedback.
I played around yesterday with just drezno and lispk and was trying to extract gates from waveforms also feeding and external clock to the adc. Deep module it seems! Going to hook up jena on it’s own to drezno today and see what i can come up with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my drezno and jena should be arriving soon. waiting a little longer on my lipsk :sob: but super excited to dive in when they show up :smiley:

1 Like

Just got a second hand Drezno + Lipsk, pretty cool module. (Top bit led is broken :frowning: )

Are the gates typically noisy without inputing to the ADC clock? With a simple LFO (I’ve tried a few sources now) there are a bunch of gates that happen around the points in time when a bit changes.

So you have a source patched into ADC Input, but nothing patched into ADC Clock, and you are seeing activity in the bit outputs - is that correct?

If so, yes normal - as Drezno will run at its own clock rate (very fast) if you have nothing clocking it with ADC Clock.

Yes, and even with nothing patched in, there’s a lot of gate activity just by setting the ADC offset. Does the noise have something to do with my power supply? Just wondering if this is normal. From the videos I’ve seen of it being used as a rhythm generator it doesn’t seem this noisy.

I expect it’s normal, or at least, I get it too. There’s a pretty good amount of gain on those sliders, so small amounts of noise getting to (or inherent in) the ADC can be enough to flip the lowest bit or two. It’s something you can take advantage of in some patches.

Could be the PSU/busboard or some adjacent digital modules, I had this behavior when it was next to shape shifter.

Pretty sure that is normal. Makes sense as you are physically changing the way those signals are pushed through the bitouts.

But I also have some odd power behaviour with Drezno and Jena - where I need to power on my rack twice for Jena to sync with Drezno. Thanks @lohacker I’ll try moving it all around