Xaoc Zadar

I am hungry for opinions on this. When I saw the Superbooth videos, I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. It seems like it could be a great module. I’ve been considering crazy envelopes for quantizers lately, and Zardar seems like a dream in this regard.

I don’t have one, but I had mixed feelings about it too. My first reaction to it was: I don’t see why they couldn’t have added loop points baked into each shape preset where you can hold a gate, for ADSR and looping patterns and so on, without compromising the design. (Had they done that, I could justify replacing another envelope module or two with Zadar.)

Other people over on MW have lamented it not having some kind of tempo sync option, or multiple CVs per envelope.

Spiky transients to excite resonators or do AM is a neat idea, but since it doesn’t do gated envelopes, I can’t justify replacing anything with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meanwhile: a new Learning Modular video demonstrates running an envelope through a resonant filter to give it spiky bounces, and I’m pretty impressed. I’m going to experiment with that and waveshapers etc. to see if it does what I want it to – or simply combine an envelope and LFO, or design some samples for E370 to use as envelopes, or the like.

3 Likes

Yeah, those are my two wants as well.

Looping does get tricky with the wild deformations you can perfom on things, but it’s hard to imagine there isn’t a way to make such a desirable feature work. Also, Batumi does tempo sync already, so it’s not like they’ve never done it.

I’m also suprised it doesn’t seem to have their USB interface? At the very least, making a simple computer based utility to add custom shapes makes so much sense for it.

:thinking:

Didnt like it at all…Im glad i kept both my omnimods…

I really like Zadar so far. All negative points mentioned here are valid, but depending on how you use envelopes in general, it may not affect your experience.

I mainly bought it because of the acoustic shapes and to also sometimes excite Rings. And it is really great for that. Also, I almost always use triggers to start envelopes. The crazier shapes are nice to look at but I don’t see me including them in my patches.

For me, Zadar is a more experimental version of the O_C’s Piqued, which I use all the time.

5 Likes

I like it. It’s instant gratification for complex wiggly modulation. There are many ways of achieving this of course, by patching together a few modules, but having 4 channels of it in a small form factor is really neat. The acoustic shapes are great too.

I really want to hear these accoustic shapes in action now, if any of you wouldn’t mind snagging a clip?

3 Likes

Now that it’s been out for a little bit, are people who have them still into them?

There are precious few demos or detailed walkthroughs available, something very odd for such a supremely playable and responsive module. Ben has teased a more in-depth demo beyond his first patch video so I’m waiting for that. It’s high on my must-buy list.

I still very much enjoy it. Slowly and gently modulating the warp parameter is great for wavy sounds, which I use it for quite a bit.

1 Like

I recently got one and, even tho the lack of auto-save is extremely annoying, I do like it.
The only that it took me a while to realize is that it really shines when I trigger it less often and the envelopes are set to longer lengths. It’s a different approach for me than regular function / envelopes generators like Maths etc.
I’ve been pairing it with the Malekko Varigate 4 and I’ve been getting some interesting results.

I’m definitely interested in reading how other people here are using it. The idea of feeding it into a quantizer is definitely something I need to try asap.

1 Like

I’ve had it for a while now, and so far I use it primarily for long (>10s, usually) complex LFOs. I wish there was a quicker way to get a channel into looping mode.

Otherwise, I think it is really fun. The variety of shapes is pretty inspiring. I fed it into a quantizer and got some interesting results too. It usually takes a lot of effort with maths to patch up a really complex shape, so it is fun to have a bunch of weird shapes on tap for feeding into filters, Morphagene, Plaits, etc.

it’s awesome and fits perfectly how i use envelopes the looping LOOOOoong ones are perfect for pseudo-random generative interplay of filters

in other news TONA!

1 Like

I am also surprised by the lack of coverage. I think I’m still on the fence, but it seems really great. I’m considering it as a secondary generator to Stages both for long envelopes and more traditional envelopes on demand.

1 Like

I have one en route, and I’m pretty stoked about it. I’m not terribly put off by the wish list of things that it doesn’t have or do, though assuming I like it I would look forward to the planned expander that would allow modulation of more than one parameter per channel.

I’m not really looking for it to be a replacement for a traditional EG with a few extra bells and whistles. I have O_c Piqued for comprehensive envelope generation, plus a number of other AD(SR)s. I’m looking at it more as something completely new that didn’t really exist before it.

My hope is that it will be a lightning fast way to audition a virtually unlimited number of animations to bring to life wavetables, wave folders, FM, PM, filters, granular synthesis parameters, and the like. I think it will deliver on that but will hopefully have some more concrete opinions to offer soon.

1 Like

Discovered on Matrixsynth - DivKid’s XAOC Devices Zadar as a VCO … or four!

1 Like

I’ve had it for a few weeks and I really like it. It’s complex envelopes made simple. For someone like me that honestly never used a ton of envelopes, it’s a really fun way to get some super complex modulation in 10hp. It’s fast to navigate but I do wish it saved your state automatically on power-cycle. I’ve screwed myself a few times by powering off my case before remembering to save.

I’ve really enjoyed using it to slowly modulate the wave folders and etc. on my Cs-L. I also have some allflesh pads coming soon so I can just tap the triggers for one-shot envelopes.

One small QC issue, I have a bit of dust under the display. Based on asking a few other folks, it seems like a common issue. You can’t really see it when the display is on so it isn’t a big deal, just a minor nit.

2 Likes

good info, looking forward to giving the zadar a try when I can get my hands on one!

also just in case you weren’t aware- tapping an allflesh alone does nothing, you need to have one on a voltage source and the other on the place you want to send the voltage and use your body as a voltage transfer mechanism.

2 Likes

Wow, did not know that - I sort of assumed your touch would be enough to generate a trigger. I’ll have to rethink that I guess. I could use Pressure Points but I was hoping to keep that free for other stuff. Thanks for the info!

That video is dope.

@sunbeamer: You CAN use all flesh, the point n-So was making was that you’d need to also be touching a voltage source (such as an offset) in order to produce the voltage necessary to detect a trigger. :+1: