Xaoc Zadar

@grey Ah, makes a bit more sense, I’m sure I can find a few spots to take advantage of that. I’ll update once they come in.

The manual doesn’t really highlight which vectors are the acoutic/natural shapes, but my ears tell me a lot of them are in Bank T. Here’s a brief exploration of that bank serving as the amp envelope. Shapeshifter is the sound source. I tried to keep it basic/repetitive to keep the focus on the envelopes.

8 Likes

Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to make and share that. Very helpful. :black_heart:

1 Like

I’m looking at one of these too very useful thanks for posting this vid! Are you putting a delay before the trigger to the zadar? Or does it have a slow response to triggers? The saw wavey sound seems to be lagging behind the Sin wavey sound.

1 Like

The triggers aren’t laggy. I actually had a second Zadar envelope modulating the wave table on Shapeshifter. That’s probably what you’re hearing.

Ahh I see! Awesome thanks

Finally received mine. My first impression is immensely positive.

2 Likes

Curious how you all are using your Zadar.

I’ve had mine a few weeks and have yet to dive too deep, but so far I’m having trouble sort of finding a role for it. So far my favorite thing is the sort of bouncing-ball type envelopes into an LPG…

The applications are so numerous, but so far I think I’ve mostly done odd VCA/filter env/LPG curves, slooww modulations, slow (not audio rate) AM with gate sync (to preserve transients), as well as just using it as a fairly vanilla ASR. There was this ”it’s okay to use a complex tool for a simple task” thought floating around the Lines forum and I think it’s very fitting here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tip for digging into Zadar: mult whatever trigger you’re using for your note envelope to trigger a channel of Zadar. Patch that Zadar channel to any timbre control on your voice—whatever you’ve got. Now, while your voice plays/does its thing, start flipping through different shapes on Zadar. (Adjust Time so that it’s short enough you’re getting through a decent chunk of the shape when the trigger fires.) Once you find some whacky shape that does something cool, find an LFO or random source or something and use that to add a little modulation to the warp or response of the Zadar shape. Should be pretty cool.

6 Likes

I’m using mine mostly for sloooooow envelopes for modulation. I think it’s a great companion for droney stuff.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m curious how folks will use this. I’ve set aside 3HP for it (which offsets the 3HP Poti nicely) so I’m def interested.

For the most part, it just adds a second layer of cv, and I think that will be most welcome. The trigger buttons are handy, too, I guess. As with Batumi and its Poti expander, I don’t really think these expanders should have been necessary—this stuff should have been built into the original module

3 Likes

Anybody using their Zadar as a sequencer? I’m thinking it would work really well sending one channel to a S&H and quantizer, and using another channel to trigger the S&H. Given the precise controls over amplitude and time I figure you could make things as steady or chaotic as you want just using the module itself.

1 Like

Curious thought - I hadn’t considered that. But with some of the sketchy waves in that high bank, your S&H triggers (from a second channel) could get pretty amazing.

Something to do this afternoon!

[ddg]

1 Like

I was doing this for a while when I first got a Scales. Very highly recommended. Can be especially fun if you modulate shape selection just a little. (Or a lot, depending on how crazy one wants to get of course.)

1 Like

I was testing this, and for a live improv context is isn’t ideal. You can definitely massage it. It’s worth noting that there are a lot of envelope shapes, and a lot of wild ones, but I wasn’t immediately grabbed by the kinds of sequences I was getting. I think with enough time and tuning you could probably find a method that works for you, but it’s extremely non trivial. Just my experience.

1 Like

I can second grey’s and robbbiecloset’s experience. You can do it with massaging. It’s also a bit limiting that Zadar always begins and ends at the bottom.

2 Likes

I am interested in the Zadar or possibly an alternative. Can the Zadar or any other module provide scannable arbitrary waveforms (DC)? Something like the W/ but with transformations to the waveform like the Zadar. I think after reading the manual, one can only trigger the start (or reset) of each vector waveform.

1 Like