Xaoc Zadar

i’m not quite sure. but take a look at scanned from qu bit

Have any of you done much experimenting with Zadar as an oscillator? I just got mine in the mail and that’s one of the first things I plan on trying out when I get it racked tonight. Really curious to see just how far I can stretch this thing–I mean you could use it as an oscillator, envelope, clock, and melody generator all in one!

I did not try the oscillator thing. It is quite a versitile module, but it wasn’t quite quick enough to manipulate for my taste for a live case. I still think it’s an exceptional module.

It doesn’t track at 1V/oct, so it’s not particularly useful as an osc for melodic work. I’ve got two of them, so I love them, but find than enough uses for the complex modulation they output. Finally updated the firmware on my first one—which came from the original batch. Was scared I was going to brick it, but managed to get it updated after a few tries. It’s an unbelievably good modulation source for video synth work, too.

2 Likes

Hey guys, just orderd my Zadar and I am super excited. I was wondering with the 2d morphing is it possible to get any simple lfos out of zadar? IE square, sine, ect. I suppose you could have the attenuation of one envelope inverting every cycle, but that seems like a waste of an input.

Simple LFO’s are possible without using any sort of modulation. There are shapes in there that will give you square, sine, triangle, and saw waves and you just have to set them to loop continuously. The only real difference from a typical LFO is that the signal will be unipolar rather than bipolar, which you can adjust by mixing it with a negative offset if needed.

1 Like

Oh great! I was looking at the shapes chart and wondering if they would only behave like fully rectified sine waves with a sharp kink in them.

But if I offset this wave from bank D Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.39.14 PM like you mentioned that should give me a smooth sine-like shape. Thanks! You have really helped me out picking out some modules in the last couple of days. When diving into the modular world there can be a lot to wrap your head around!

1 Like

Hang on, so are you saying that if you mix a -5v offset with a 0-10v envelope you get a bipolar envelope that goes from -5v to +5v?

If this is true then this is good news for me and my system!

Yep, that’s why offsetting mixers are so nice to have in a rack. You could also take a -5 to +5 LFO, for example, and add a 5v offset to turn it into a unipolar 0v - 10v LFO.

4 Likes

Thanks man, that’s really good to know.

I was trying to work this out ages ago just in my head and was massively overthinking it to the max (involving modulating something like Veils with a bloody synced ramp up or something daft).

I need a slap sometimes honestly! :S

2 Likes

I dusted off my ZADAR after a while.
I have both the Zadar and the NIN exapnder. I found it irreplaceable in the wild and very slow droning (with times over 5 minutes) but with the 4 chained envelopes triggered by a single trig. On all other occasions I find it not very musical and not very interesting in the filters’s modulation.
I always find the 4ms Pingable Generator irreplaceable for that.
I must say that even VST solutions such as Gatekeeper or Shaperbox are many times much more interesting even in AM modulation.

In addition I must admit that the impossibility of editing the vectors is a limit. I have found very few really musical banks in my case (maybe the T bank is one of them). Otherwise, its highly glitchy character leads me to tire quickly
I’d like to hear more up-to-date advice on this before I sell the module.

I discovered a new way to use Zadar as a Sample + Hold. Here’s how…

Set a channel to wave shape L0. Set the time to a long value (at least longer than the anticipated time between the need to sample & hold). Turn the Level for that channel all the way to 0v. Go into the Assign menu and assign that channels input to Level. Set that to 100.

It’s then the simple case of sending CV into the Assign in and the trigger into the trigger in. It almost tracks v/OCT!!

Not bad if you’re in a pinch for a quick and dirty sample & hold.

8 Likes

So the overall long term RS with this unique module wasnt lasting?
I am quite interested in it. I would add attenuverter for more hands on of envelopes.

It’s super simple to attenuate the envelopes / LFO’s right from the menu, one of the many things I love about this module.

I read that adding attenuverter (maybe offset was meant?) to the assign Ins give fast, hands on of clssic AR response compared to the fine grained encoders and channel selecting etc. so making it more respond like an EG. Opinion?

It would be my only/main EG and mod source so playability is the aim of this thought

Ohh I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, with an offset you can adjust any parameter via the assign in, and then one more if you use the expander.

In the end, it all depends on what you want to do and how, but if your modular intentions are anything approaching mainstream, I doubt you will want Zadar as your “only/main EG”. I don’t doubt a few folks are doing it, but I definitely view Zadar as a secondary EG to add special sauce. A good analog (or faux-analog) AR/ASR EG like Maths (or Quadrax) is always going to trump Zadar for immediate, hands-on, meat-and-potatoes tasks. I don’t say this to denigrate Zadar (which I like a lot), but horses for courses.

5 Likes

I agree with this and I’m less likely to target the usual suspects (volume, filter cutoff) with Zadar and more likely to target it at something like wavetable position or FM index. Although I will say Bank T is pretty nice for targeting the usual suspects and getting something of a different flavor than a more traditional EG yields.

I see what you guys mean. Mainstream, no far from it. More like experimental film soundtrack and sometimes beat things, working a lot with samples and modular-sample-norns instrument is tiny. The vco is just friends and would be modulated + shaped (lpgs) by zadar. The hands on via offset does speak to me. The encoder issues are scary

With just friends i am mostly trying to get that pseudo poly thing going with spreading the voices through lpgs. I thing the mutli nature of zadar should be quite fitting for me.

One alternative to Zadar if you expect to only use it occasionally would be Starling VIA META. I kind of think of it as a cut-down Zadar and cut-down Plaits in one module. It’s all wavetable-based, with:

• an envelope mode (looping or not, with several trigger/gate options) and CVable rise/fall times
  • a “sequencer” mode (looping or not) which is just a bunch of complex waveforms with CV over speed and warping
  • an oscillator mode
  • a drum mode with a few basic models

Each mode has a few available wavetables to choose from. But unlike Zadar it has no display, so a scope is very helpful to see what’s going on with it. And it’s just the one channel, not four.

The VIA platform also has two input VCAs, normalled to +5 and with an attenuverter, and crossfades between them as the modulation signal rises and falls, which is nice. And you can switch between several different compatible firmware options and faceplates if you want the module to do something else entirely – there are a few neat options there.

1 Like