XronoMorph

http://www.dynamictonality.com/xronomorph.htm

XronoMorph is a free OS X and Windows app for creating multilayered rhythmic and melodic loops (hockets). Each rhythmic layer is visualized as a polygon inscribed in a circle, and each polygon can be constructed according to two different mathematical principles: perfect balance and well-formedness (aka MOS). These principles generalize polyrhythms, additive, and Euclidean rhythms. Furthermore, rhythms can be smoothly morphed between, and irrational rhythms with no regular pulse can also be easily constructed.

XronoMorph subsumes the earlier MeanTimes app described in Milne, A. J. and Dean, R. T. (2016).

Each polygon can play an independent sound, and XronoMorph comes with a useful selection of samples to play the rhythms. Alternatively, you can load your own VST or AU plugins, or send MIDI to an external software or hardware synth. The rhythmic loops can be saved as presets within XronoMorph; they can also be saved as Scala scale tuning files, which means XronoMorph can be used as a tool for designing well-formed (MOS) and perfectly balanced microtonal scales.

The video below gives an overview of what XronoMorph is and what it does. More videos are available on the XronoMorph YouTube channel—please leave a comment or a like if you enjoy what you see!

10 Likes

Sounds like a prog-bot.

That’s certainly one thing you could do with it.

Very nice find.
Will have a closer look on the weekend.

1 Like

Quick morning test-run confirms my suspicion that this would be a lot of fun sequencing my Volca FM and Sample. Looking forward to digging in a little deeper later on!

1 Like

looks like lots of fun, but my computer says that the download is corrupted and won’t let me open it. anyone else having this problem?

hmmm.

From the page:

On OS X, on first run, you may need to right click the app and select ‘Open’. If you get a message similar to ‘“XronoMorph” is damaged and can’t be opened …’, you will need to adjust OS X’s security settings. Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and under “Allow apps downloaded from:” check “Anywhere”.

I was playing with this last night. Great results with my Voyager, but the lack of ability to sync is a bummer. He said he is hoping the export midi and audio option will be available in the first update. Looks like he might try to add a sync feature, although the sequencer has no constant underlying pulse so he’s not quite sure how this would work. Someone asked him to add something as basic as starting the sequence with your DAW, which would at least be a step in the right direction.

1 Like

In the meantime I’d probably just do midi export and then arrange in the daw. Could probably also find a way to convert a midi note from Xronomorph to an MMC start command, either via DAW config or through some kind of MIDI translation software.

thank you - this is new to me. worked a charm.

cheers!

1 Like

got to play a bit with it today.
such a beautiful piece of software.
absolutely fantastic for rhythms.
will follow closely what’s coming up regarding sync.

1 Like

Sync is here.

XronoMorph has been updated to version 1.1.0. It includes the following new features to facilitate integration with DAWs/sequencers:

• Save XronoMorph loops as MIDI loops (OS X and Windows 32 bit versions) or audio loops (all versions)—use these loops in any DAW/sequencer.
  • MIDI sync—XronoMorph will sync to your DAW’s MIDI clock and SPP (song position pointer). The number of DAW beats (quarter notes) resulting in a full XronoMorph rotation can be freely chosen.
  • Fixed bug where typed rotation values changed when return key was pressed.
  • New play/pause button.
  • Minor adjustments to the GUI.
  • A Windows 32 bit version.
3 Likes