Your iOS arsenal

I have the Sensel Morph, which does Bluetooth midi info the iPad… I haven’t had any time to dig in yet but I am optimistic that it’s gonna kill :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ok, I spent a solid 6 hours playing on my phone and partners iPad and iOS music isn’t for me! It’s like a DAW but less focussed. It’s amazing but 100% not what I want. I need less stuff.

Ordered an Analogue Four, and removed all but two sets of drum samples from the Digitakt. Minimal I think helps me more.

Wish I could return apps :slight_smile: But they’ll be fun on train journeys. I do like my 909 app, and Fugue is epic. That’s going to somehow stay in my workflow.

3 Likes

You can return them within your account

2 Likes

@ttasselm could you share more about the routing between digitone, iPad, and Logic running on another computer? Is it
laptop <-> usb cable <-> M4 <-> audio cable <-> digitone <-> usb cable <-> iPad?
So that all the audio is both in the iPad and running back out to Logic running on a computer?

broader question here is how to manage audio/midi IO for both an iPad (as sound device) and computer (as DAW / recorder) at the same time … are two interfaces, or devices acting as such, required?

Your mapping write-up is correct.

For audio: in the clip I posted, I had the Digitone connected to the iPad directly. All of the audio from Digitone is sent into AUM (in “Audio Routing” menu of DN, I have “INT TO MAIN” set to “OFF” so that the stereo output of DN is on its own controllable fader in AUM on iPad). All audio from Digitone and AUM is sent to the M4 (and therefore Logic) through the Digitone main outs. So, I can record each channel in AUM and also record the stereo mix in Logic.

For MIDI: USB MIDI allows the Digitone sequencer to sequence my iPad synths, pianos and other instruments…and vice versa because iPad can sequence and control the Digitone if wanted. Additionally, I have a bluetooth MIDI adapter plugged into the M4 so I can send all MIDI from both Digitone and iPad (Fugue Machine, Ribn, and Rozeta LFO, for example) to play and control my Kontakt instruments and VSTs in Logic. Using

If I want to minimize things on my table (or I’m just using iPad and Laptop alone, for instance) then I will use the iConnectivity iConnectAUDIO2+ interface to connect both iPad and Laptop over USB connections. It is the only interface I’ve ever found with ability to connect 2 hosts and allow passing of audio and midi seamlessly between them. Mac OS Big Sur pretty much wrecked mine, but I’ve just picked up their new device with dual USB-C connections and a USB-A host port (AUDIO4c) and should have it any day now. It’s helped me manage audio and MIDI between laptop and iPad very efficiently with flexible matrix routing, and is the perfect tool for that use case.

7 Likes

super helpful explanation, thanks @ttasselm ! So many routing and connection possibilities now … great flexibility but also a lot to think through. :laughing:

I was aware of the iConnectivity interfaces and see better now how they suit the iOS-device-and-computer-together use case.

1 Like

Oh I know - the possibilities are endless. Enough to make your head spin thinking about it!

I think the easy point-and-click nature of AUM routing and the Bluetooth connectivity for MIDI makes iOS such a fun option as a studio brain.

2 Likes

Just discovered this free tunable noise generator. Already love it!

Ed Blomquist

Sent from my iPhone

Edit: Just looked at the privacy information and it does tracking… Rats!

1 Like

The iOS discussion typically focuses on iPad, and rightfully so, but it is pretty amazing to me how deep and rich a sound source the iPhone can be. I was messing around earlier and put together this sloppy one-take jam using Moog model 15, Ravenscroft 275 piano, and ApeSoft Electric Vintage Rhodes instruments on my iPhone 12 mini. I am playing simple chords with the Bluetooth keyboard on the Korg Nanokey studio, with extra steps and notes added by Audiomodern Riffer. I have a couple different scenes mapped on the Korg to control various parameters of eventide Blackhole, Dedalus delay audio mangler and imaginando K7D tape delay with its knobs, as well as rate/filter on an old field recording of rainfall on Hawaiian lava rocks.

After this jam I also “stress tested’ the iPhone under a much heavier load of apps and also used it control parameters on my HX Stomp effects box over Bluetooth, and it held up perfectly fine with manageable DSP loads and no audio drop-out.

This is all done with just a Bluetooth connection between the two devices and I exported the raw audio out of AUM with AudioShare. Practically speaking, it’s extremely difficult to navigate some apps on the iPhone 12 Mini screen…so I wouldn’t try anything complex on stage. But it’s cool to think about the power of these devices these days, and about having a little phone on the table as a tiny additional synth, controller or effects box in my live rig without any additional power supplies, or recording very useable and high-quality loops/ideas any time I want to pull my phone out of my pocket.

17 Likes

Does anyone have the magic keyboard? Impressions?

I’m looking at it for my new iPad Air 4. I’ve got some airline miles to spend… :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is great to hear. I was looking at picking up a secondhand iConnect Audio2+ (or 4+) as they appear to be discontinued & your use-case has sealed the deal. I want to connect my Macbook Pro with my iPad so that the two can form a combined ecosystem.

I was going to spend a ridiculous sum on a new, up-to-date MBP but realised that Ableton Link would mean that I could spread out tasks between the Ableton on the MBP and various other iOS devices, hopefully resulting in a best-of-all-worlds approach. Spending several hundred on an iConnectivity device seems much more prudent than several thousand on a new MBP!

1 Like

I don’t personally but I know others who do and they speak highly of it. Some apps even allow you to utilise it as a chromatic keyboard (Ableton-style) but I’m not sure which do. I endeavour to obtain more info if that would be of interest at all.

2 Likes

That would be great, thanks!

The keyboard tip is really cool!

1 Like

it’s excellent, and gives a whole new dimension to using the iPad. Expensive, but great.

My only complaint is that the cover does show signs of aging over time. EDIT : in a way that the aluminium keyboards don’t.

2 Likes

Don’t we all, though :wink:

4 Likes

I just got a response from a more knowledgeable friend: it seems as though Drambo has the most extensive support, being the main option for utilising chromatic input via qwerty keys. Cubasis does support some qwerty usage but may be limited to keyboard shortcuts.

1 Like

Does anyone have any recommendations for an AU to stick on the end of the signal chain? Thinking something like analogue heat or OTO Baum for some limiting and heft on the end of the signal chain.

I loved my (1st gen) magic keyboard until the magnetic coupling stopped being reliable after about a year and a half of use. The magnets still work of course, but the data connection is not working for the most part. If I fidget with moving the keyboard around, disconnecting and reconnecting it, I can get it to work for a moment, but the moment passes quickly.

3 Likes

FabFilter Pro L 2 tends to sit on my mix bus when I’m going for a quick and easy finishing touch to render something out. It feels absurdly decadent/wasteful to have these amazing tools on iOS and not use them, but I have to admit that I rarely bother with L2 outside this use-case

2 Likes

Occurred to me to go ahead and recommend this keyboard:

I have the K380 version (which doesn’t come with a little slot for your iPad) and I love it. Utterly reliable for years, including the feature that allows me to use the same keyboard with an iPad, a Mac, and a pc. Works like a charm.

3 Likes